Can Being Overweight Cause Cancer?
- The Big Fat Question: What Is the Role of Excess Weight in Cancer Risk, Mortality? Twombly, Renee // JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute;8/3/2005, Vol. 97 Issue 15, p1110
Discusses various studies regarding the role of excess body weight in cancer risk and mortality. Link of obesity with both cancer mortality and cancer development as discussed in the 2003 Institute of Medicine report "Fulfilling the Potential of Cancer Prevention and Early Detection"; Research...
- Dietary factors and cancer chemoprevention: An overview of obesity-related malignancies. Murthy, N. S.; Mukherjee, S.; Ray, G.; Ray, A. // Journal of Postgraduate Medicine;Jan-Mar2009, Vol. 55 Issue 1, p45
Obesity is a growing health problem in developed nations and in countries that are in the process of westernization like India. Obesity is linked with several health disorders such as hypertension and cardiovascular diseases, Type 2 diabetes, dyslipidemia and certain cancers. Currently,...
- The Obesity-Associated Polymorphisms FTO rs9939609 and MC4R rs17782313 and Endometrial Cancer Risk in Non-Hispanic White Women. Lurie, Galina; Gaudet, Mia M.; Spurdle, Amanda B.; Carney, Michael E.; Wilkens, Lynne R.; Yang, Hannah P.; Weiss, Noel S.; Webb, Penelope M.; Thompson, Pamela J.; Terada, Keith; Setiawan, Veronica Wendy; Rebbeck, Timothy R.; Prescott, Jennifer; Orlow, Irene; O'Mara, Tracy; Olson, Sara H.; Narod, Steven A.; Matsuno, Rayna K.; Lissowska, Jolanta; Liang, Xiaolin // PLoS ONE;2011, Vol. 6 Issue 2, p1
Overweight and obesity are strongly associated with endometrial cancer. Several independent genome-wide association studies recently identified two common polymorphisms, FTO rs9939609 and MC4R rs17782313, that are linked to increased body weight and obesity.We examined the association of FTO...
- Correlates of weight status among Norwegian 11-year-olds: The HEIA study. Grydeland, May; Bergh, Ingunn H.; Bjelland, Mona; Lien, Nanna; Andersen, Lene F.; Ommundsen, Yngvar; Klepp, Knut-Inge; Anderssen, Sigmund A. // BMC Public Health;2012, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p1053
Background: The underlying mechanisms of overweight and obesity in adolescents are still not fully understood. The aim of this study was to investigate modifiable and non-modifiable correlates of weight status among 1103 Norwegian 11-year-old adolescents in the HEalth in Adolescents (HEIA)...
- Weight And Cancer: More Links Uncovered. // Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter;Sep2002, Vol. 20 Issue 7, p1
Provides information on the link between obesity and cancer risk.
- Obesity a cancer risk. Taylor, Tanya; Carey, Dorothy // Nutridate;Jul2001, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p7
Cites the cancer risk posed by obesity, according to a study published in a 2001 issue of the `Medical Journal of Australia.'
- Extra Weight Adds Cancer Risk. // USA Today Magazine;Feb2002, Vol. 130 Issue 2681, p12
Reports on the risk of developing cancer by obese persons. Breast cancer; Colorectal cancer; Endometrial cancer; Prostate cancer; Kidney cancer; Cancer of the esophagus; Disease associations; Disease development.
- FEW AMERICANS KNOW ABOUT THE OBESITY/CANCER LINK. // RN;Oct2002, Vol. 65 Issue 10, p101
Cites an opinion survey conducted for the American Institute for Cancer Research, which found that few adults in the U.S. know that being overweight or obese increases their risk of developing certain common forms of cancer.
- Fat and out-of-shape -- a prescription for cancer. // Active Living;Mar2008, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p13
An excerpt from the article "Fat and out-of-shape � a prescription for cancer," in the February 19, 2008 issue of "Wellness Insider" is presented.