Supreme Court HIV Ruling Broadens Disability Definition
- 124-8. HIV infection as disability--a physician's view. Rigsby, Michael O. // Cortlandt Forum;06/25/98, Vol. 11 Issue 6, p79
Looks at the case of an HIV-infected patient in the United States who claimed that her dentist violated her rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Transmission of HIV infection in health-care settings; Health care needed by HIV patients. INSET: Michael O. Rigsby.
- WYOMING. // Advocate;3/24/92, Issue 599, p34
Reports on the rejection in the Wyoming house of representatives of a bill that would have made it a felony for HIV-positive people to expose others to HIV.
- New York enacts law requiring HIV notification. // Nation's Health;Sep98, Vol. 28 Issue 8, p6
Reports that human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected New York residents are required by law to share the names of their sexual or needle-sharing contacts to their physicians. Purpose of the law; Concerns of activists regarding the law.
- U.S. HIV border ban lifted. Wockner, Rex // Bay Windows;1/14/2010, Vol. 28 Issue 5, p2
The article reports that new policies that removed the U.S.' 22-year-old ban on HIV-positive immigrants and foreign visitors took effect on January 4, 2010.
- Privacy disputes threaten Mass. HIV testing bill. Salsberg, Bob // Bay Windows;9/29/2011, Vol. 29 Issue 42, p1
Information on a Massachusetts bill, which states that no doctor or health care provider can test for HIV or release information about results without the consent of the patient, is presented.
- Transvestite Quarantined in Jackson. Walter, Dave // Advocate;3/31/87, Issue 469, p13
Focuses on James McIntyre, a transvestite arrested for prostitution in Mississippi. Significance of the allegations that the police arrested McIntyre for carrying the AIDS virus; Police's justification of their actions; Identification of McIntyre as the first male prostitute known to be placed...
- Supremes' disability decision: No impact on DI sales. Jones, Chuck // LAN: Life Association News;Aug98, Vol. 93 Issue 8, p36
Discusses the effect on the disability-income market of the United States Supreme Court ruling on the rights of HIV-infected persons under the Americans With Disabilities Act. Need for companies to rewrite contracts; Selection of carriers; Change in policy language.
- AIDS Legal Council: Trench warfare for those with HIV/AIDS. Franco, Joe // Windy City Times;4/25/2012, Vol. 27 Issue 27, p19
The article features the AIDS Legal Council of Chicago (ALCC) in Illinois, which aims to preserve, promote and safeguard the rights of people with AIDS/HIV in Chicago, Illinois.
- Judges discuss HIV, human rights and the law in Asia and the Pacific. // HIV Australia;2013, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p6
The article presents information on a meeting of judges from across Asia in Bangkok on the impact of laws on the rights HIV positive people.