- Work Horse or Show Horse? Gasaway, Richard B. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2005, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p38
The article offers several recommendations to ensure the functionality of a fire chief. A fire chief must serve as an example to fire fighters. Being a loyal leader imitates the same behavior to subordinates. Ideal fire chiefs know how to be good leaders.
- Darwin and the volunteer fire service. Coleman, Ronny // Fire Chief Expert Blog;9/15/2013, p1
The article presents information on volunteer fire chiefs in the U.S. It states that, though, volunteer fire chiefs are not paid for their services, but their duties are no less than the fire chiefs who receive compensation. However, volunteer fire chiefs have to spend limited time period in...
- Fire Chief -- Ross Valley Fire Department (San Anselmo, Calif.). // Fire Chief Expert Blog;10/ 2/2013, p1
The article announces that the Ross Valley Fire Department Board of Directors is conducting a national search for a committed fire professional to serve as the next Fire Chief to supervise a staff of 32 firefighters and 15 volunteers with an operating budget of 8,347,188 U.S. dollars annually.
- How to get the right person for the right job. Sells, Peter // Fire Engineering;Jan1999, Vol. 152 Issue 1, p62
Gives advice on hiring qualified people in the fire department. Establishment of the job description, which applicants are expected to meet; Assessment of the candidates based on required competencies; Conduction of an information session; Interview panel assembly; Conduction of interviews;...
- Officer Development: Leaders Teach. VISCUSO, FRANK // Fire Engineering;Mar2014, Vol. 167 Issue 3, p117
The article defines 13 leadership traits and qualities that firefighters and the public look for in a fire service leader. These include loyalty, education, adaptability, determination, enthusiasm, resourcefulness, selflessness, toughness, empathy, assertiveness, courage, honor, and willingness...
- Firin'advICE. // Minnesota Fire Chief;May/Jun2005, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p9
Presents answers to questions on the fire fighting profession in the U.S. Suggestions on the concern of a fire department employee on the noticeable absence of their fire chief during working week; Advice for an officer in a volunteer fire department who aspires to become a fire chief.
- If only I had Known... Anderson, Jeff // Minnesota Fire Chief;May/Jun2005, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p31
Discusses the responsibilities of being a fire chief. Role of a fire chief in the safety and security of the community; Decisions associated with the proper training and equipment of firefighters; Importance of balancing duties and responsibilities as a fire chief and as a family member.
- SCBA Policy. // Fire Engineering;Aug2007, Vol. 160 Issue 8, p36
This article discusses self contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) policies and how they have evolved over time. The author reflects on a time when a fire fighter elected whether he would wear a mask or not. In 1988, a training chief wrote a mandatory mask policy, which went into effect that same...
- What Model Are You? Wilmoth, Janet // Fire Chief;Oct2004, Vol. 48 Issue 10, p6
Looks into the types and characteristics of fire chiefs in the U.S. Resemblance between fire chiefs and cars; Question on the dependability of newer type of chiefs; Elements of a good fire chief.