IN LIKE A LION
- Essential, Important, Nice. Zikmund, Nyle // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jan/Feb2009, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p26
The article encourages firefighters to help policy makers at all levels to make difficult decisions by making them to focus on essential, important, nice. It is important for a firefighter to talk to policymakers both at the local, state and federal level to educate them on what a firefighter is...
- Ohio Chiefs Association wins Excellence Award. // Fire Chief;Oct2003, Vol. 47 Issue 10, p20
Reports that the Ohio Fire Chiefs Association won the 2003 Fire Service Award for Excellence for its Ohio Fire Executive, a leadership development program. Background on the program designed to strengthen the skills of fire chiefs and high potential senior officers; Other finalists for the award.
- PEOPLE NEWS. // Fire Chief;May2005, Vol. 49 Issue 5, p11
Reports on career developments of fire chiefs in the U.S. Appointment of Gary Ludwig as deputy fire chief of the Memphis Fire Department; Conferment of the 2005 Metro Black Chief Officer Lifetime Achievement Award to Raymond Brooks; Death of Louis A. Scida, chief fire marshal of the Long Island...
- Command Malpractice Fails Standard of Care. Houser, Kim Ross // Fire Chief;Aug2007, Vol. 51 Issue 8, p22
The author discusses the failure of the standards of care required to professional fire officers in the U.S. Some fire officers fail to use or delegate to competent people specific high-risk tasks. They also fail to properly supervise or train personnel under an officer's command. Moreover, fire...
- Putting the "WOW" back in education. Specken, Dale // Minnesota Fire Chief;Sep/Oct2013, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p12
The article offers the author's insights on the conference of the Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Association (MSFCA) in Rochester, Minnesota from October 17-17, 2013. He says that the committee of MSFCA offers opportunity by setting up classes that will help fire chiefs to learn new skills, improve...
- PEOPLE NEWS. // Fire Chief;Oct2004, Vol. 48 Issue 10, p9
Reports on career developments for fire chiefs in the fire service in the U.S. as of October 2004. Installation of Robert DiPoli as the 2004-2005 president of the International Association of Fire Chiefs; Presentation of recipients of the 2004 President's Awards to six individuals for better...
- Firin'advICE. // Minnesota Fire Chief;May/Jun2005, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p9
Presents answers to questions on the fire fighting profession in the U.S. Suggestions on the concern of a fire department employee on the noticeable absence of their fire chief during working week; Advice for an officer in a volunteer fire department who aspires to become a fire chief.
- Work Horse or Show Horse? Gasaway, Richard B. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2005, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p38
The article offers several recommendations to ensure the functionality of a fire chief. A fire chief must serve as an example to fire fighters. Being a loyal leader imitates the same behavior to subordinates. Ideal fire chiefs know how to be good leaders.
- Darwin and the volunteer fire service. Coleman, Ronny // Fire Chief Expert Blog;9/15/2013, p1
The article presents information on volunteer fire chiefs in the U.S. It states that, though, volunteer fire chiefs are not paid for their services, but their duties are no less than the fire chiefs who receive compensation. However, volunteer fire chiefs have to spend limited time period in...