Ohio Chiefs Association wins Excellence Award
- Work Horse or Show Horse? Gasaway, Richard B. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2005, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p38
The article offers several recommendations to ensure the functionality of a fire chief. A fire chief must serve as an example to fire fighters. Being a loyal leader imitates the same behavior to subordinates. Ideal fire chiefs know how to be good leaders.
- Officer Development: Leaders Teach. VISCUSO, FRANK // Fire Engineering;Mar2014, Vol. 167 Issue 3, p117
The article defines 13 leadership traits and qualities that firefighters and the public look for in a fire service leader. These include loyalty, education, adaptability, determination, enthusiasm, resourcefulness, selflessness, toughness, empathy, assertiveness, courage, honor, and willingness...
- BECOMING A GOOSE IN A WORLD OF TURKEYS: EFFECTIVE LEADERSHIP IN THE FIRE SERVICE. Stoney, Lori P. // Fire Engineering;Aug2006, Vol. 159 Issue 8, p69
The article focuses on effective leadership in fire prevention service in the U.S. A good fire service leader must learn the quality of character. These leaders are infused with humor and humility. A proficient leader has a vision an is intensely focused on outcome and results and has a workable...
- Essential, Important, Nice. Zikmund, Nyle // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jan/Feb2009, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p26
The article encourages firefighters to help policy makers at all levels to make difficult decisions by making them to focus on essential, important, nice. It is important for a firefighter to talk to policymakers both at the local, state and federal level to educate them on what a firefighter is...
- IN LIKE A LION. West, Pat // Fire Chief;Oct2003, Vol. 47 Issue 10, p48
Profiles Philip Sayer, recipient of the Volunteer Fire Chief of the Year award from the periodicals "Fire Chief," and Missouri's 2003 Fire Chief of the Year. Education and training; Personal background; Career highlights. INSET: FROM TRAGEDY TO TRAINING.
- PEOPLE NEWS. // Fire Chief;May2005, Vol. 49 Issue 5, p11
Reports on career developments of fire chiefs in the U.S. Appointment of Gary Ludwig as deputy fire chief of the Memphis Fire Department; Conferment of the 2005 Metro Black Chief Officer Lifetime Achievement Award to Raymond Brooks; Death of Louis A. Scida, chief fire marshal of the Long Island...
- Command Malpractice Fails Standard of Care. Houser, Kim Ross // Fire Chief;Aug2007, Vol. 51 Issue 8, p22
The author discusses the failure of the standards of care required to professional fire officers in the U.S. Some fire officers fail to use or delegate to competent people specific high-risk tasks. They also fail to properly supervise or train personnel under an officer's command. Moreover, fire...
- Fundamental skills take new fire chiefs down the right path. Crawford, Brian A. // Fire Chief Expert Blog;12/13/2012, p1
The article offers administrative or management tips for newly appointed fire chiefs. It suggests that new fire chiefs should surround themselves with the brightest and most gifted people they know, conduct regular face-to-face dialogues with their firefighters, command staff and union...
- Tom's Trumpet. Brace, Tom // Minnesota Fire Chief;May/Jun2006, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p58
Discusses the qualities of a firefighter. Job responsibilities of a firefighter; Key elements of leadership; Information on the Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Association.