Candles Cause More Than Fires
- HOLIDAY LIGHTING HANDLE WITH CARE. // Consumer Reports;Dec2005, Vol. 70 Issue 12, p6
The article presents a safety alert related to the use of candles during the holiday season. The author reviews how statistics show that candle fires peak in the month of December and tripled in the United States between 1990 and 2002. Various tips related to candle safety are presented. It is...
- Air Monitoring Instruments. Cable, Josh // Occupational Hazards;May2006, Vol. 68 Issue 5, p60
Evaluates several air monitoring instruments including the X-am 2000 from Dreager Safety, the Gas Badge Pro from Industrial Scientific and the GasAlert MicroClip from BW Technologies and offers information on their features and uses.
- Candle Safety Tips. // Gifts & Decorative Accessories;Jul2010, Vol. 111 Issue 6, p42
The article offers safety tips for candle customers to keep in mind when burning candles which include keeping candles within sight but away from children and pets, keeping candles away from combustible items, and making sure candles are completely extinguished before leaving them.
- Candles Can Be a Catastrophe! Bender, Michelle // Glamour;Oct2000, Vol. 98 Issue 10, p78
Lists several tips in preventing fires caused by candles.
- Danger in Your Bedroom. Goins, Liesa // Cosmopolitan;May2001, Vol. 230 Issue 5, p198
Discusses safety tips on using candles in the bedroom to avoid fires.
- Blow Out the Candles. Diclerico, Dan // This Old House;Dec2003, Vol. 8 Issue 10, p16
This article presents some tips on blowing candles in safe environment. Lit tapers may say Happy Holidays to, but they're a huge fire hazard. While home blazes have dropped by half over the last two decades, the number that were caused by candles leaped 20 percent from 1998 to 1999, putting that...
- NIFC FIRE RAWS UNIT SURVIVES BURNOVER. Andersson, Kelly // Fire Management Today;Spring2001, Vol. 61 Issue 2, p39
Reports the impact of the Bircher fire on the National Interagency Fire Center FIRE Remote Automated Weather Station (RAWS) unit in Durango, Colorado. Importance of FIRE RAWS on the firefighters; Effectiveness of the RAWS technicians on fire management operations; Implementation of the fire...
- Fire Report. Adams, Roy // Grand Saline Sun (TX);10/10/2013, Vol. 118 Issue 41, p6
The article offers information on fire incidence in Grand Saline, Texas in October 2013, along with tips on fire prevention including the fire alarm at Grand Saline High School on October 1, grass fire on October 3, and pasture fire on October 7.
- Be Fire Safe! // Scholastic News -- Edition 2;Oct2013, Vol. 70 Issue 2, Special section p2
The article offers suggestions to get safely out of the fire.