MGM Acquisition of Time Warner Would Have Implications for Book Division
- LION PLAYS THE FIELD. Goldsmith, Jill; Amdur, Meredith // Daily Variety;6/29/2004, Vol. 283 Issue 60, p1
Reports on Time Warner's merger negotiation with MGM. Market value of MGM; Gathering of MGM executives and shareholders at Lion's Los Angeles, California headquarters for the company's annual meeting; Speculations on the financing of a Time Warner deal; Competing bid of Sony-led consortium for MGM.
- CLOCK TICKING FOR LION. Goldsmith, Jill; Fritz, Ben // Daily Variety;9/10/2004, Vol. 284 Issue 48, p1
Reports on the takeover offers of Time Warner and Sony for MGM. Terms offered made by the two companies; Efforts of MGM to duel the takeover.
- TW taking new look at the Lion. // Daily Variety;12/18/2003, Vol. 281 Issue 53, p1
Reports on the plan for the merging of MGM and Time Warner Inc. in the U.S.
- Movie bid sweetened. // BRW;9/9/2004, Vol. 26 Issue 35, p81
Focuses on the cash bid of Time Warner for Metro-Golden-Mayer in the U.S.
- BARRY MEYER'S MODEL-T PLAN. Guider, Elizabeth; Schneider, Michael // Variety;9/27/2004, Vol. 396 Issue 6, p1
Presents information on the bid of Warner Bros. to acquire Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. Amount of the bid; Information on other companies involved in the acquisition bid; Reason behind the refusal of Warner Bros. to raise its bid.
- Deal takes a turn for the Times. Amdur, Meredith // Variety;5/10/2004, Vol. 394 Issue 13, p8
Reports on the speculations surrounding the acquisition of MGM. Refusal of L.A. Times to give credence to rumors of a serious play by Sony and its financial backers; Background on the third-party-financed deal between Sony and MGM.
- Caging Lion would put 'Hobbit' in TW's shire. Goldsmith, Jill // Daily Variety;7/19/2004, Vol. 284 Issue 10, p5
Reports that Time Warner plans to acquire movie studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM). Problems faced by the merger talks between Sony and MGM; Time Warner's chance to have a worldwide and theatrical and television rights to J.R.R. Tolkien's book "The Hobbit".
- SONY PONIES UP FOR LION. Learmonth, Michael; Fritz, Ben // Daily Variety;9/14/2004, Vol. 284 Issue 50, p1
Reports on the agreement reached by a group led by Sony Corp. in principle with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. to acquire the studio after Time Warner Inc. failed to go on with the bidding in the U.S. Benefit offered by the deal for Sony to set up television distribution deals; Opportunity to...
- Sony continues MGM diligence. Rose, Maria Matzer; Anderson, Kathleen // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;6/1/2004, Vol. 384 Issue 6, p4
The negotiating situation between Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studio Inc. (MGM) and Sony Corp. remained essentially unchanged going into the long weekend, even though sources said MGM had not officially granted Sony's Thursday request for a two-week extension of its exclusivity agreement. Both sides...