IAFC Sets Zero-Tolerance Alcohol Policy
- TACTICS: THE LIMITING/ ENHANCING FACTOR FOR STRATEGIC DECISIONS. Brennan, Tom // Fire Engineering;Sep2005, Vol. 158 Issue 9, p134
Presents views and insights on the tactics of limiting or enhancing factor for strategic decisions in fire prevention in the U.S. Thoughts on the changes of tactics and strategies in fire prevention; Assessment of the current tactics by fire fighters in fire prevention.
- Leave Your Bad Habits at the Door. Gasaway, Richard B. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jul/Aug2005, Vol. 41 Issue 6, p27
Presents a list of bad fire fighter habits. Smoking and drinking; Failure to treat customers with compassion; Procrastinating; Showing up late for meetings, drills or calls.
- Be Fire Safe! // Scholastic DynaMath;Oct2005, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p3
Reports that October is the National Fire Safety Month in the U.S. Importance for the firefighter to know how to take the heart beat of a fire victim.
- Blaze a Path Into Firefighting. Byrne, Paul // Career World;Sep2009, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p14
The article focuses on pursuing a career in firefighting. It outlines the annual earnings of the average fulltime firefighter in the U.S. It discusses the physically demanding test for firefighting candidates and the hands-on training provided to hired firefighters. A description of the tasks of...
- LEARN TO MAINTAIN FIREGROUND AWARENESS. Mills, Steven // Fire Engineering;Jul2005, Vol. 158 Issue 7, p83
Focuses on the report released by the Federal Emergency Management Agency on the 2004 firefighter fatalities, which categorizes firefighter deaths such as type of duty, type of incident, cause of fatal injury and type of injury. Responsibility of the company officer for maintaining team...
- Hey, Where Are You? CIAMPO, MICHAEL N. // Fire Engineering;Jun2010, Vol. 163 Issue 6, p124
The author advises firefighters to determine the location of their companions to ensure that they are not left stranded or unprotected. He urges the inside team to inform the firefighters on the fire floor they are planning to go to the floor above. He also emphasizes that the engine company...
- Fire Commentary. Zapatka, Robert E. // Fire Engineering;Nov2005, Vol. 158 Issue 11, p104
This article presents information on the firefighters of the United States. According to an estimate there are more than one million firefighters in the United States today. Majority of these firefighters fall under the category of municipal firefighters. But apart from municipal firefighters...
- Together, Not Alone. Kanterman, Ronald E. // Fire Chief;Oct2003, Vol. 47 Issue 10, p74
Focuses on the role of the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation of the U.S. in providing scholarship programs and other services for the families of deceased firefighters. Emotional support provided by the foundation; Description of the foundation's annual Memorial Weekend held at the...
- Cylical Plan Keeps Command on Course. Linstrom, John // Fire Chief;May2005, Vol. 49 Issue 5, p20
Discusses the development of a model incident command system for fighters to manage large-scale events. Importance of training and simulation to prepare the fire officers to make better decisions; Need for skill courses as a logical step after formal ICS coursework; Method for providing good...