New developments in low-bit rate videotelephony for people who are deaf
- Telephone access for hearing impaired. // Computers in Libraries;Oct93, Vol. 13 Issue 9, p14
Reports on DemoSource's development of a system called TDDMail which allows the deaf to communicate directly with automated voice mail systems. Compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA); Deaf's use of the TDDMail to call in and use the same voice mail as hearing callers; Contact...
- Should Tactile Aids Be Used to Supplement Lip Reading? Gardner, Kirsten // ASHA Leader;02/15/2000, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p13
Discusses research being done on the use of natural tactile supplements in lipreading. Effectiveness of tactile supplements; Methods of the study; Results and discussion.
- Final wireless TTY report to be sent to FCC in June. Weaver, Heather Forsgren // RCR;04/12/99, Vol. 18 Issue 15, p9
Reports on the wireless industry's plans to provide text telephones (TTY) access to deaf people in the United States. Limitations of current digital telephones; TTY software solution developed by Lucent Technologies Inc.; Capabilities of TTY technologies.
- A break for TTY users. // Telephony;05/05/97, Vol. 232 Issue 18, p70
Reports on Ameritech's offering of telecommunications devices at a discount to low-income handicapped who need specialized equipment to communicate.
- Product news. // Hearing Instruments;May96, p30
Features various products designed for the hearing impaired. Hearing aids; Amplifier telephone; Ear measurement and hearing aid analyzers.
- Funds approved are for deaf telecommunications. // San Diego Business Journal;01/04/99, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p9
Reports that the California Public Utilities Commission has approved funds to install telecommunications devices for the deaf in public accommodations throughout the state. Allocation of budget to compensate building owners and local telephone companies for the process; Sources of funds for the...
- Ma Bell to launch multi-function TTY. // Hearing Instruments;Jan95, p10
Reports on American Telephone and Telegraph Co.'s plan to launch TTY 8840, a single, multi-function teletypewriter. Functions and features of the product; Portability of the product.
- Dallas/Fort Worth airport installs TTYs. // Hearing Instruments;Apr95, p8
Reports on the installation of telecommunications devices for the hearing impaired at the Dallas/Fort Worth Airport in Texas. Response to demands from organizations representing the hearing impaired.
- HOLDING THE LINE. Palattella, John // Lingua Franca: The Review of Academic Life;Feb2001, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p21
Acknowledges the enactment of the Telecommunications Accessibility Enhancement Act in the United States for the improvement of telephone access for users of the teletypewriter (TTY), a device that allows people to send and receive printed messages over phone lines. Original purpose of...