FIRE SHELTER OVERHAUL
- FEPP USED FOR COOPERATIVE FIREFIGHTING. Peters, Bill // Fire Management Notes;1996, Vol. 56 Issue 3, p17
Discusses the wildland firefighting program of San Bernardino County in California. Use of United States Army helicopter for the program; Details on the program; Advantages of the program; Details concerning the transformation of the helicopter from Federal Excess Personal Property; Success of...
- Russian Disarray. Sofronova, Tatiana M.; Volokitina, Alexandra V.; Sofronov, Mark A. // Wildfire;Jul/Aug2010, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p12
The article focuses on forest and fire management in Russia which is said to be in disarray due to a lack of an efficient fire behavior prediction systems. It states that the 2009 fire season witnessed thousands of wildfires which is attributed to the country's poor air support, poor preventive...
- FEPP used for cooperative firefifghting. Peters, Bill // Fire Management Notes;1996, Vol. 56 Issue 2, p17
Reports on the participation of the Federal Excess Personal Property (FEPP) in the wildland firefighting program in San Bernardino County, California. Background on the cooperative program; Function of the FEPP helicopter; Transformation of the helicopter for the program.
- THE ABCS OF CORRECTLY MAPPING A FIRE. Delaney, Ed // Fire Management Today;Summer2005, Vol. 65 Issue 3, p27
Presents guidelines for correctly mapping a wildfire in the United States. Location referencing systems used for fire locations on fire reports; Map coordinated systems; Horizontal reference map data most likely to be encountered by wildland fire fighters. INSET: New Importance of Fire Location.
- PRINCIPLED APPROACH. Gardner, Karen // Wildfire;May/Jun2005, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p24
The article reports that many fire agencies in the U.S. have found prevention success by integrating Firewise Communities/USA into their community education programs. Firewise Communities/USA was initiated in 2002 as a recognition program for communities that successfully employ recommended...
- PRESCRIBED BURNING IN CATALONIA: FIRE MANAGEMENT AND RESEARCH. PASTOR, E.; PÉREZ, Y.; MIRALLES, M.; PLANAS, E. // Proceedings of the Royal Society of Queensland;2009, Vol. 115, p23
Wildfires have been seriously affecting Catalonia (NE Spain) during the last decades. Before the large fires of 1994 and 1998, the Catalonian policy was mainly focused on fire extinction activities, underestimating prevention and forest management. Nevertheless, since the occurrence of those...
- USING WIND MODELS TO MORE EFFECTIVELY MANAGE WILDFIRE. Potter, Brian; Butler, Bret // Fire Management Today;Spring2009, Vol. 69 Issue 2, p40
The article discusses how wind information can be useful to manage wildfire. Both diagnostic wind models and prognostic wind models are used to support specific fire management. Generally, the wind models must provide the output data on a finer scale than the issue of greatest concern like the...
- PLANNING FOR WILDFIRES. Daigneau, Elizabeth // Governing;Apr2009, Vol. 22 Issue 7, p59
The article reports on the preparation for wildfires in the drought-stricken parts of the U.S. in summer. Two researchers at Colorado State University have developed a plan called STARfire, which is engineered to predict the potential consequence of a specific fire. By using such system, life...
- PACIFIC NORTHWEST CONTRACTS FOR ENGINES, TENDERS, AND CREWS. Masoner, Arnie // Fire Management Notes;1996, Vol. 56 Issue 3, p19
Explains why agencies in Pacific Northwest region of the United States have turned to the private sector for equipment and trained personnel in suppressing wildfires. Reason of the fire management agencies; Discussion on the problems faced by the fire management agencies.