- NEWS IN BRIEF. // Fire Engineering;Apr2003, Vol. 156 Issue 4, p40
Presents news briefs related to fire management in the U.S. as of April 2003. Service gaps in fire departments; Signing of Omnibus appropriations bill for the assistance to Firefighters Grant Program; Senate's rejection of a proposal to fund firefighter health initiatives. INSET:...
- MANAGING POST-FIRE CONTROL ACTIVITIES. Avillo, Anthony // Fire Engineering;Apr2003, Vol. 156 Issue 4, p88
Discusses the management of post-fire control activities. Firefighter rehabilitation; Investigation of fires for origin and cause; Use of minimum personnel to overhaul the structure; Systems restoration process; Releasing control of the property from the fire department to the owner.
- DEVELOPING A QUICK ACTION PLAN. Angulo, Raul A. // Fire Engineering;Jan2003, Vol. 156 Issue 1, p91
Reports on the formulation of the Quick Action Plan (QAP) for fire management in Seattle, Washington. Significance of the QAP as a dynamic foundation for a workable firefighter accountability system; Types of accountability systems used by fire departments; Application of the QAP concept during...
- Is tracking kids using GPS a good idea? Hulick, Kathryn // Odyssey;Oct2014, Vol. 23 Issue 8, p47
The article focuses on whether using a global positioning system (GPS) for tracking children is a good idea or not.
- Harris Corp. [HRS]: Harris Unveils Wireless Location System to Track Responders in Buildings. // TR2: Terror Response Technology Report;9/15/2010, Vol. 6 Issue 19, p6
The article features the GR-100 wireless location tracking system of Harris Cop. which tracks and transmits the location of firefighters and first responders while they are inside buildings, allowing on-scene commanders to better coordinate efforts and monitor personnel.
- Suburban Ladder Company Operations. Guzzi Jr., Armand F. // Fire Engineering;Mar2008, Vol. 161 Issue 3, p68
The article discusses the role of the ladder company in providing critical support to foreground fire operations in the U.S. If employed properly, this unit can increase the safety of all firefighting members operating on the foreground, as well as any civilians awaiting rescue. The ladder...
- Fire Service-Based EMS Made Easier. Deardorff, Chad // Fire Chief Expert Blog;7/13/2012, p10
The article shows the advancements on fire-based emergency management systems (EMSs). The International Association of Fire Chiefs and the International Association of Firefighters backed fire-based EMSs due to their capabilities that speed up response times of firefighters. Fire departments all...
- A TALE OF TWO STANDARDS. Manning, Bill // Fire Engineering;Oct2000, Vol. 153 Issue 10, p4
Separate career and volunteer fire response standards in the U.S. will become a reality with the 2001 versions of National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1710, Standard for the Organization and Deployment of Fire Suppression Operations, Emergency Medical Operations, and Special Operations to...
- Roundtable. // Fire Engineering;Apr2006, Vol. 159 Issue 4, p56
The article presents a discussion on the issue regarding the main priority when working in a fire department in the U.S. The author delivers a situation wherein a fire incident is happening and he asks the response of several firefighters on how to apply the "life safety priority," which had...