Most Fire Departments Strained by Growth
- APPARATUS DELIVERIES. MALECKY, JOHN M. // Fire Engineering;Dec2013, Vol. 166 Issue 12, p116
The article features three chassis for fire departments including KME pumper from the Randolph Fire Department, DANKO tanker from the North Clay Fire Protection District and E-ONE platform from the Glendale Fire Department.
- MULTI-STORIED. Veseling, Michael J. // Fire Chief;Nov2005, Vol. 49 Issue 11, p38
The article focuses on the fire department of Naperville, Illinois. The fire department built a training tower in 1989, which is composed of a 2-story burn building, a 5-story high-rise simulator and a one-story portion for storage and confined-space training. The facility is used for...
- Love or Hate them, but Know the Score. Coleman, Ronny J. // Fire Chief;Feb2009, Vol. 53 Issue 2, p17
The article discusses various problems encountered by the U.S. fire departments. It states that many fire chiefs are struggling to respond for public fire protection in most communities. It also highlights the risks that occur in different fire problems. It is believed that the rising cost of...
- The rescuers. McGuffie, Deborah // Fleet Owner;Jan2006, Vol. 101 Issue 1, p66
This article presents information about California's Contra Costa County Fire Protection District (CCFPD). It serves approximately 544,000 residents within a 350-sq.-mi. area. According to Tim Rau, district apparatus manager, the district has thirty firehouses, which include 13 of the county's...
- Building a Landscape-Level Prescribed Fire Program. Ferguson, Joseph P. // Fire Management Today;Summer2005, Vol. 65 Issue 3, p16
Presents guidelines for the successful management of fires in the United States. Importance of breaking the suppression attitude among fire management officers; Consideration of the whole ecosystem in fire management; Inclusion of the entire workforce in fire management.
- WHY IS SAFETY SUCH A PROBLEM? Terwilliger, Michael S. // Fire Engineering;Jun2004, Vol. 157 Issue 6, p120
Focuses on the problems encountered by firemen in maintaining safety during the course of fire extinction. Reasons for the occurrence of failed mission of fire prevention; Impact of emotional rush on safety; Comparison on the response of an elected official between firefighter fatality and...
- THE MONTANO COMPLEX FIRE/URBAN INTERFACE FIRES. Halton, Bobby // Fire Engineering;Jan2004 Supplement, Vol. 157, p3
Reports on the firefighting strategy used by the Albuquerque, New Mexico Fire Department during the June 24-July 7, 2003 fire. Potential catastrophic consequences of the fire; Challenge presented by the incident to the department; Ecological and physical characteristics of the area.
- THE MONTANO FIRE. // Fire Engineering;Jan2004 Supplement, Vol. 157, p16
Reports on the 2003 Montano fire in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Areas affected by the fire; Response of the area's fire department; Agencies that collaborated to put down the fire; Impact of the fire on the area's business and environment. INSETS: MONTANO BOSQUE PREPARATORY SCHOOL, COMMANDER...
- ATRISCO/BOSQUE FIRE, SOUTHEAST DIVISION, COMMANDER KEN GARCIA. // Fire Engineering;Jan2004 Supplement, Vol. 157, p6
Details the response of the Southeast Division of the Fire Department to the June 2003 fire in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Areas affected by the fire; Other agencies that collaborated with the division; Equipment used by the team to fight the fire.