The bright side of life
- Nada i optimizam adolescenata u odnosu na roditeljski odgojni stil. Raboteg-�aric, Zora; Merka�, Marina; Majic, Martina // Napredak;Jul2012, Vol. 153 Issue 3/4, p373
The aim of the study was to examine the differences in adolescents' level of hope and optimism according to their parents' child-rearing style. The sample included 401 secondary school students from the first to fourth grade. The scales that measure students' hope, optimism and perception of...
- Excelling Early. Henderson, Shirley // Ebony;Jan2007, Vol. 62 Issue 3, p94
The article discusses how parents can nurture the talent of their children. The author says that children who want to develop their talent should be disciplined, work hard and make sacrifices. Tony and Trina Martin, parents of Justin, spent about $20,000 when their son got a call-back job in Los...
- A toddler's amazing, adorable brain. Cha, Janet // Parenting;Feb2006, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p20
The article discusses the author's experience in raising her children. She enjoys watching little children learn. Children can absorb everything around them.
- CAUTIONING CHILDREN ABOUT STRANGERS. // USA Today Magazine;May91, Vol. 119 Issue 2552, p7
Offers advice on how to teach children to beware of strangers. Challenges in teaching children; Tricks used by strangers to lure children; Recommendations from experts.
- Like a Child. Kramer, Kyle T. // America;6/8/2009, Vol. 200 Issue 18, p9
The author comments on parental love by referring to his own experience of being a parent. It is stated that, although his love and affection towards his child sometimes turns into frustration and anger, the feelings don't stop him from responding to his child. The author states that his...
- Permission to parent. Yu, Carla // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;03/08/99, Vol. 26 Issue 11, p33
Reports on a licensing system for parents that Katherine Covell and R. Brian Howe of the University College of Cape Breton have devised. The three requirements that would be imposed on parents; Their beliefs that the government is responsible for ensuring that parents respect their children's...
- Helping Your Child Sleep Soundly. Levine, Hallie // Newsweek;Fall/Winter2000 Your Child, Vol. 136 Issue 17a, p46
Discusses how parents can help a child fall asleep, including rituals. Effectiveness of the Ferber method described in the book 'Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems,' by Dr. Richard Ferber; Concern about the safety of bed-sharing or co-sleeping; Reference to studies on sleep research.
- Rules, Rules, Rules. Springen, Karen // Newsweek;11/26/2001, Vol. 138 Issue 22, p76
Discusses raising children, and limits parents place on various things including television, videogames, and candy. How placing severe restrictions can illicit a rebellious response; Connection between television viewing and obesity, slowness, and overly aggressive behavior; How to help...
- Holding children accountable for their actions. CARTER, WESLEY // Charlotte Post;10/6/2011, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p1B
The author gives advice to parents on how they can teach their children to take responsibility for their actions.