Ninth Circuit Protects Ability of Citizens to Sue Under Clean Water Act
- Limping Towards Clean Water Act Compliance San Francisco BayKeeper v. Whitman. Monick, Aaron // Ecology Law Quarterly;2003, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p765
Presents the case, San Francisco BayKeeper Inc. v. Whitman, regarding compliance with the U.S. Clean Water Act. Facts of the case; Overview of the court's decision; Implications of the case.
- Courts. // National Wetlands Newsletter;May/Jun2007, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p34
The article presents news briefs on court cases relating to wetlands. In the San Francisco Baykeeper v. Cargill Salt Division, the Ninth Circuit reversed a grant of summary judgment by the lower court in favor of the environmental group in Clean Water Act violation. In the case of Andrews v....
- Dow sued on Proposition 65. // Chemical Week;7/22/1998, Vol. 160 Issue 27, p57
Reports on the 1998 lawsuit filed by the San Francisco Bay Keepers against Dow Chemical's Pittsburg, California plant for violating Proposition 65. Allegation of the plaintiff regarding the company's federal National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit; Information on the...
- Comment on Recent Cases. O. K. M.; C. S. J.; M. C. L.; W. C. J.; C. H. T. Jr.; M. K. W.; W. E. C.; T. A. J. D.; W. W. F. Jr. // California Law Review;Sep13, Vol. 1 Issue 6, p532
Presents court cases and decisions in California for the year 1913. Discussion on the reversal for admission of incompetent testimony; Assessments on paid-up stock; Overvaluation of stock issued for property; Injunction of pollution of water by mining operations.
- Fourth Circuit Upholds the Army Corps of Engineers' Decision to Permit Mountaintop Waste Disposal in America's Rivers. Manchik, Alexandra // Ecology Law Quarterly;2003, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p755
Reviews the decision of the court on the Kentuckians for the Commonwealth v. Riverburgh case about administration of permits for the disposal of fill material in U.S. waterways under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act. Facts of the case; Definition of fill material under the act; Arguments of...
- Supreme Court considers funding for port fight. Hainsworth, Jeremy // Xtra (Toronto);4/27/2006, Issue 561, p9
Reports on the decision of the Canadian Supreme Court to reserve its judgment on whether Vancouver's Little Sister's bookstore will receive advanced court costs to continue its battle against book seizures by the Canadian border police. Background on the case; Arguments raised by defense lawyer...
- TAX CASES. // Accountancy Ireland;Jun2001, Vol. 33 Issue 3, p57
Presents several tax-related cases in Europe. Decision on the case involving Card Protection Plan Ltd. by the European Court of Justice (ECJ); Judgement of the Halifax PLC case by the Great Britain Value Added Tax and Customs Tribunal; Confirmation of the compulsory service charges levied by...
- Diego Garcians win judicial review. // Community Care;4/21/2005, Issue 1569, p11
Reports that a group of people who were forced by the British government to leave their homes on the island of Diego Garcia have won permission to mount a High Court challenge for the right to housing and benefits in the country. Reason behind the move of the group in 1971; Argument of the...
- It's the way that you do it. Pemble, Stuart // Estates Gazette;9/7/2002, Issue 236, p145
Presents information on the cases Godwin vs. Swindon Borough Council and Anderton vs. Clwyd County Council on the servicing of claims. Details of the cases; Court's decision on the cases.