Biodiversity Legal Foundation v. Badgley: Good News for Endangered Species Act Advocates, Bad News for At-Risk Species
- Arizona Cattle Growers Association v. U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service: Has the Ninth Circuit Weakened the "Take" Provisions of the Endangered Species Act? Stinson, Paul // Ecology Law Quarterly;2003, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p497
Examines the implications of the court's decision to invalidate the incidental take statements (ITS) issued by the service in the case, Arizona Cattle Growers Association v. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Definition of incidental take under the U.S. Endangered Species Act; Background on the...
- Habitat Conservation Plans Under Section 10 of the Endangered Species Act: The Alabama Beach Mouse and the Unfulfilled Mandate of Species Recovery. Jester, Jennifer // Boston College Environmental Affairs Law Review;Fall98, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p131
Argues that the US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) has construed narrowly the conservation mandate of the Endangered Species Act (ESA). Advent of the habitat conservation plan; Mechanics of the ESA; Exceptions to the Section 9 Prohibition of `Takes'; Process of FWS issuance of an incidental...
- Final Rules: Pecos Sunflower (Helianthus paradoxus). // Endangered Species Bulletin;Jan-Apr2000, Vol. 25 Issue 1/2, p27
Reports that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has listed the Pecos sunflower as a threatened species on October 20, 1999.
- Funding Extinction? Biological Needs and Political Realities in the Allocation of Resources to Endangered Species Recovery. Restani, Marco; Marzluff, John M. // BioScience;Feb2002, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p169
Presents the view that the priority system which should guide the United States Fish & Wildlife Service in endangered species recovery is ineffective. View that spending patterns decrease long-term viability of island species; Statement that recovery expenditures do not track priority ranks,...
- Fish and Wildlife Service Lists Lesser Prairie-Chicken As Threatened. Rutherford, Burt // Beef Expert Blog;4/ 3/2014, p1
The article reports on the decision of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) to list the lesser prairie-chicken as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) and use a special rule under section 4 (d) of the ESA limiting regulatory effects on landowners and businesses from...
- SAGE GROUSE AVOIDS LISTING. // Outdoor Life;Mar2005, Vol. 212 Issue 3, p19
Focuses on the reasons behind the failure of the Endangered Species Act in the U.S. Causes of the declining number of grouse; Views of the Fish and Wildlife Service on the involvement of hunters in the declining numbers.
- Downsized home. // New Scientist;7/14/2012, Vol. 215 Issue 2873, p4
The article reports that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) had systematically ignored recommendations to increase habitats for endangered species, such as South Florida's Cape Sable seaside sparrow, between 2002 and 2007.
- U.S. FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE: KEEPING FIRE ON OUR SIDE. Gleason, Karen Miranda // Fire Management Today;Spring2010, Vol. 70 Issue 2, p26
The article offers information on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS). It aims to conserve, protect and improve fish, wildlife, and plants in their habitat to benefit the Americans. The FWS is authorized to implement the Endangered Species Act (ESA), run the fire management program...
- Proposed Rules : DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR. // Federal Register;10/3/2013, Vol. 78 Issue 192, p61622
The article presents a notice from the U.S. Department of the Interior Fish and Wildlife Service on October 3, 2013 regarding the proposal to list the yellow-billed cuckoo in the western U.S. It states that the protection to the western yellow-billed cuckoo will be extended under the Endangered...