Plan links Wisconsin school bonds, gaming
- Milwaukee school head still facing takeover by state. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;04/22/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30377, p28
Discusses the Wisconsin Governor Tommy Thompson's threat of taking over the Milwaukee Public Schools (MPS) if it failed to improve academic performance. Special session called by Thompson in part to vote on his Milwaukee schools reform package; Issues facing MPS as a typical urban district;...
- Land of milk and money. Meyerson, Adam // Policy Review;Spring91, Issue 56, p31
Interviews Wisconsin Governor Tommy Thompson. Unemployment; Tax cuts; Public school choice; Economic problems; Public welfare.
- Wisconsin governor Tommy Thompson on NAFTA. // Policy Review;Sum93, Issue 65, p63
Recapitulates the speech given by Governor Tommy Thompson to businessmen in West Middleton, Wisconsin on March 22, 1993. Reasons for NAFTA's benefit towards the economy; U.S.-Canada Free Trade Agreement (CFTA); Export opportunities; Wisconsin trade office in Mexico; Agricultural sector benefits;...
- Tommy Thompson's golden opportunity. Nightingale, Demetra Smith // Christian Science Monitor;1/12/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 34, p11
Discusses the outlook for Tommy Thompson, nominee for the United States secretary of Health and Human Services, and presents recommendations for his actions.
- Getting tough on the poor. Barrett, T. // Newsweek;10/15/1990, Vol. 116 Issue 16, p33
Reports that over the past four years the Republican governor of Wisconsin, Tommy Thompson, has made the state a laboratory for welfare reform and set off a national debate in the process. His programs including Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) and Learnfare and their success;...
- Wisconsin's Tommy Thompson likely to go. // Human Events;6/16/95, Vol. 51 Issue 23, p4
Features Republican Governor Tommy Thompson of Wisconsin. Popularity in Wisconsin; View that he would make a viable Presidential candidate in 1996; Start of exploratory committee for Republican presidential bid; Thompson as chairman of the National Governors Association; Conservative views of...
- Shotgun weddings? // Time;2/18/1991, Vol. 137 Issue 7, p45
Briefly comments on the scheme of Wisconsin Governor Tommy G. Thompson that would cap funds for unmarried mothers at $440 a month (the current limit for a single woman with one child). The benefits would not increase if the woman has additional children, unless she got married. Comments from...
- Untitled. Ward, Colin // New Statesman & Society;7/30/93, Vol. 6 Issue 263, p28
Provides an account of events that lead to the murder of Tommy Thompson. Effect of army life and social conditions on attitude of Thompson; Periodic abuse by Thompson of wife and daughters; Murder of Thompson in 1988 by daughters; Leniency of police and judge on daughters.
- Ouch. // Progressive;Oct95, Vol. 59 Issue 10, p11
Presents a headline on a story about Wisconsin governor Tommy Thompson that appeared in the Green Pay Press-Gazette.