HAIL THE ORACLE
- The Misty Crystal Ball. Nuland, Sherwin B. // American Scholar;Spring2000, Vol. 69 Issue 2, p129
Offers views on the society's attitudes toward medical and scientific predictions in the past centuries. Innovation that can be anticipated; Most flabbergasting among the advances that can be predicted; Change that will appear in society's attitude towards its own involvement in biomedicine.
- WHEN GOD'S WILL CAN AND CANNOT BE ALTERED: THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE BALAAM NARRATIVE AND I KINGS 13. Angel, Hayyim // Jewish Bible Quarterly;Jan-Mar2005, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p31
In this article, the author discusses the similarities between the narrative in I Kings 13 and the story of Balaam. In both narratives, a true prophet receives a command from God and initially obeys, subsequently violates his charge, is rebuked by God through the mouthpiece of one who had not...
- A Study of the Prophecies Attributed to Liu Bowen in Circulation in Taiwan. Chan Hok-lam; Wang Chien-chuan // Journal of Chinese Studies;2007, Vol. 47, p165
This is a joint study of the prophecies attributed to Liu Bowen in circulation in Taiwan during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Liu Bowen was the courtesy name of Liu Ji, an eminent adviser to the Ming dynasty founder Zhu Yuanzhang (Ming Taizu, r. 1368- 1398). Since the late seventeenth...
- Scenario. // A to Z of Management Concepts & Models;5/1/2005, p330
This article provides information on the term, scenario, with regards to economics. Scenario refers an assumed or possible course of events or circumstances in a given area. This is used as an alternative to forecasting an extrapolatory nature. Scenario is effective in assessing the future...
- Divination and Prediction in Early China and Ancient Greece. SHAUGHNESSY, EDWARD L. // Journal of Chinese Studies;Jan2015, Vol. 60, p319
No abstract available.
- Five Principles of Futuring. MILLETT, STEPHEN M. // Futurist;Sep/Oct2011, Vol. 45 Issue 5, p39
The article focuses on the theoretical framework for developing a useful forecast of the future. It considers forecasting as an example of "applied history" or the use of historical knowledge and methods to solve problems in the present. It notes that such process will help in making decision in...
- Weather. // Edgewood Enterprise (TX);8/17/2006, Vol. 99 Issue 33, p1
This article presents the weather forecast for August 8 to 14, 2006 in Edgewood, Texas.
- Time capsule. Marty, Martin E. // Christian Century;01/05/2000, Vol. 117 Issue 1, p47
Presents an essay entitled `Thanksgiving 1946,' dated back to year 1946 which forecast things and events in January 2000. How the author pictures himself; How he sees himself in 2000; How his English professor regard his essay.
- The next 100 years? Johnsson, Julie; Borden, Jeff; Corfman, Thomas A.; Knapp, Kevin; Rewick., C. J. // Crain's Chicago Business;06/07/99, Vol. 22 Issue 23, pE73
Presents predictions on changes in the business community of Chicago, Illinois, in the 21st century. Includes multiculturalism; Cross-marketing; Politics and government; Sports events; Mergers and acquisitions; Transportation; Retail trade; Fast food restaurants; STheme parks.
- Gazing into a cracked crystal ball. Donley, Michele // Crain's Chicago Business;06/07/99, Vol. 22 Issue 23, pE76
Analyzes the accuracy of predictions made on business prospects and the way of living in the United States for the 20th century. Standard of living; Nuclear energy; Transportation; Science.