States' Fiscal Picture Brightens, But Hang onto Your Umbrellas
- CALIFORNIA: Newsom Offers Cuts,Warning. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;12/12/2008, Vol. 366 Issue 33022, p9
The article reports on the mid-year budget plan of San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom for 2008-2009. Mayor Newsom cut $71 million from the $3 billion fiscal general fund budget to close a mid-year gap and warned that the city may face a deficit of $575.6 million in the future. His mid-year budget...
- Debt is Not the Solution for New York's Problems. // Business Journal (Central New York);4/9/2010, Vol. 24 Issue 15, p24
In this article, the author discusses the effort of the New York state government on solving its problem on budget gap that will exceed nine billion U.S. dollars.
- Small business says no to tax hike to meet deficit pressure. // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;2/17/2003, Vol. 32 Issue 34, p5
Reports on the opposition of small businesses in Utah to the proposed tax increases to meet the budget deficit of the state as of February 2003. Factor that legislators should consider in their plan; Responses to a survey on tax increases; Suggestions made by individuals from the small...
- Facing Deficit, Alabama's Bentley Says No New Taxes. // Bond Buyer;2/9/2012, Vol. 379 Issue 33661, p4
The article reports on the statement of Alabama Governor Robert Bentley during his state of the state address, wherein he notes that there will be no tax increase, despite the 25% deficit in the general fund.
- Time is ripe to redo budget. // Indianapolis Business Journal;4/14/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p12
Stresses the importance of relying on stable taxes such as income, sales and property taxes instead of unreliable revenue resources to fund essential government functions and programs in Indiana. Budget deficit that Indiana is facing; Use of revenue from gambling and from tobacco settlement in...
- Ohio Collects $1M Toward Budget Gap by Terminating Part of Swap. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;7/9/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31423, p27
Reports the termination of the swap agreement of the state government in Ohio. Assistance of the budget deficit; Reliance on the budget stabilization and tobacco settlement funds; Payment for the outstanding state debt.
- N.J. Tobacco, N.Y.C. TFA Refunding Top the Muni Charts. McKaig, Ryan // Bond Buyer;8/12/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31447, p31
Reports the marketing of tobacco bonds by state government in New Jersey and New York City. Generation of funds for the budget gap; Attraction of interest from national fund buyers; Answer to the demand of the investor.
- State Revenue Choices and Gubernatorial Initiatives. Willoughby, Katherine G. // Spectrum: Journal of State Government;Summer2003, Vol. 76 Issue 3, p14
Assesses the options of U.S. state governors in managing the budget deficit problems faced by their states. Plans of the governors for the 2004 budget year; Tendency of governors to blame others for the fiscal crisis affecting their states; Federal influences; State influences and other...
- Budgeting In Tough Times: The Three Decisions and Nine Strategies. Osborne, David; Hutchinson, Peter // Spectrum: Journal of State Government;Summer2003, Vol. 76 Issue 3, p18
Proposes a program that state governors can consider in dealing with budget deficit problems. Decisions that matter most in dealing with budget deficits; Strategies for reduction of spending without hurting government and social services; Elimination of programs that are not central to the...