Prepositioning Ship Named For Maritime Vietnam Hero
- DRY CARGO SHIPS. // Sea Power;Jan2003, Vol. 46 Issue 1, p127
Features the various dry cargo ships of the U.S. Navy. Specifications of the roll-on/roll-off heavy lift ship MV Strong Texan; Description of the down-range support vessels; Use of the MV Sagamore in various operations.
- Navy to Name Ship After CÃ©sar ChÃ¡vez. Selzer, Karl // Human Events;5/23/2011, Vol. 67 Issue 19, p7
The article discusses the announcement of the U.S. Navy that the last of their 14 Lewis and Clark-class cargo ships will be named after CÃ©sar ChÃ¡vez who was a radical Latino civil rights activist which was criticized by some as a political statement while others suggest names including...
- DRY CARGO/AMMUNITION SHIPS (T-AKE). // Sea Power;Jan2003, Vol. 46 Issue 1, p120
Features the Dry Cargo/Ammunition Ship (T-AKE), a ship used for ammunition and combat storage used by the U.S. Navy. Displacement of the ship; Dimension; Storage capacity.
- CAPTAIN COURAGEOUS. Tresniowski, Alex; Smolowe, Jill; Rakowsky, Judy; Francis, Eric; Green, Mary; Greene, Lucia; Dagostino, Mark; Mascia, Kristen; Keating, Susan; Wadhams, Nicholas // People;4/27/2009, Vol. 71 Issue 16, p56
The article looks at Richard Phillips, captain of a U.S. Navy cargo ship that had been taken prisoner by Somali pirates. The author mentions how Phillips had to survive for five days in a lifeboat. The reaction of Phillips' wife, Andrea, and their children, Daniel and Mariah, to the event is...
- Historic Fleets. Baker III, A. D. // Naval History;Jun2007, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p10
The article presents information concerning increased allocation of Liberty Ship hulls to the Navy by the U.S. Maritime Commission after it felt the abatement of merchant cargo ships in 1943. The Navy acquired ten Liberty hulls for conversion into combination electronics-repair,...
- Maersk-Rickmers does the heavy-lifting for the US flag. // American Journal of Transportation;11/18/2013, Issue 568, p12
The article reports on the successful operation of heavy lift service provider Maersk-Rickmers which lifted and moved two 220 metric tons range support ship for the U.S. Navy in November 2013.
- Navy Hoping For Spring Milestone Review For MPF(F) Ships. Fein, Geoff // Defense Daily;3/13/2008, Vol. 237 Issue 49, p3
The article reveals that the U.S. Navy is hoping to head into a Milestone review for additional T-AKE cargo ships and the Mobile Landing Platform (MLP), both important vessels in the service's sea basing fleet. Currently, the Navy has been given permission from the Pentagon to obtain option...
- U.S. Navy Names Ship After Indian Guide. // Native American Law Digest;Jul2006, Vol. 16 Issue 7, p11
The article reports that the U.S. Navy has named a ship after Indian guide Sakakawea, who accompanied Meriwether Lewis and William Clark to the Pacific Northwest. Named the USNS Sacagawea, the ship will transfer cargo to other ships at sea. According to "The Associated Press," Sakakawea scholar...
- Nassco Delivers Last Cargo Ship to Navy. Graves, Brad // San Diego Business Journal;10/29/2012, Vol. 33 Issue 44, p14
The article reports on the delivery of the last cargo ship from General Dynamics Nassco to the U.S. Navy after successful sea trials.