Viking Submarine Program Moves Forward
- Intel on presence of Chinese subs in Indian Ocean makes waves; Military industry to pave way for Russia's return to Afghanistan; Arab Spring veterans protest Tunisia's crackdown on fighers to Syria. // Geo-Strategy Direct;4/17/2013, p7
The article offers world news briefs related to military art and science. An Indian government document has been leaked which indicated the presence of Chinese submarines in the Indian Ocean. The Russian government is planning to establish defense factories throughout Afghanistan. Arab Spring...
- NCW IN THE LITTORALS A CHALLENGE FOR NAVAL COMMUNICATIONS. Vego, Milan // Naval Forces;2004, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p8
Focuses on the challenges and opportunities in the employment of network-centric warfare (NCW)-capable ships, aircraft and submarines in the littoral environment. Benefit of NCW for naval forces; Capabilities and limitations of NCW; Factors affecting the successful application of NCW. INSET:...
- Lest We Forget. Wertheim, Eric // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Oct2002, Vol. 128 Issue 10, p126
Features the USS Threadfin commissioned on August 30 of 1944. Creation Manufacture of the ship by the Portsmouth Navy Yard; Attack of the submarine with an enemy freighter; Patrol of the vessel to various port destinations.
- DEEP CALL. DIETRICH, CLAUS // Naval Forces;2015, Vol. 36 Issue 6, p44
The article discusses the deployment of modern submarines and anti-surface warfare and land attack in the 21st century.
- Dutch Submarine-builder RDM Markets Morays to Indonesia. // Sea Power;Dec2003, Vol. 46 Issue 12, p42
Reports on the offer of Moray submarines by RDM Corp. to Indonesia. Fulfillment of the submarine requirement of the country; Modernization plan of the Navy; Alternative plan of the country.
- Racing to Restore PT-761. Lesjak, David // World War II;Oct2004, Vol. 19 Issue 6, p12
Focuses on the restoration being conducted for patrol torpedo (PT) boats, the most widely admired boats of World War II built by the Electric Boat Co., Higgins Industries and Huckins Yacht Works. Information on the six PT-boats that have been restored to their World War II appearance; Remarks...
- NAVAL UNDERSEA WARFARE CENTER TOMORROW'S UNDERSEA SYSTEMS. // NATO's Nations & Partners for Peace;2003, Vol. 48 Issue 2, p129
Discusses the development of the MANTA Unmanned Undersea Vehicle (UUV) concept. Overview of the inaugural motor torpedo vessel (MTV) at-sea trials in 1999-2000; Ocean mapping capability of the MANTA UUV; Weapons launch features of the MANTA UUV.
- Egypt blocked by West in quest for Type 209 subs from Germany. // Geo-Strategy Direct;11/14/2012, p11
The article reports that final approval for the request of Egypt for two Type 209 electric-diesel submarines from Germany was blocked, with industry sources saying that the German government was urged by several countries, particularly Israel and the U.S., to delay any signing.
- SUBMARINE PIONEER. // Australian Geographic;Jan-Mar2008, Issue 89, p64
The article presents information related to the AE2 military submarine of Australia. In 1914, Australia's only submarines, AE1 and AE2, set a distance record for submarines when they sailed from Portsmouth, England, to Sydney, Australia. AE2 travelled nearly the same distance back for its gutsy...