- Energy Efficiency, the Environment, and VFDs. Genaw, Bill // Heating/Piping/Air Conditioning Engineering;May2011, Vol. 83 Issue 5, p10
The article focuses on the significance of strategically managing power in saving energy, improving sustainability and reducing costs. The author discusses the use of the variable-frequency drives (VFDs) in meeting energy challenges while addressing efficiency and reliability concerns. The...
- Living unplugged from the grid. Vince, Gaia // New Scientist;12/6/2008, Vol. 199 Issue 2685, p30
The article provides information on the ways to live off-grid. It cites the need to calculate the amount of energy it takes in running the home and its possibility of replacing with alternative sources of power. It suggests insulating the home properly to reduce heat loss as well as save energy....
- Energy Codes and Building Controls. Stranske, Gail // Heating/Piping/Air Conditioning Engineering;Mar2009, Vol. 81 Issue 3, p40
The article offers information on the energy codes and standards for buildings in the U.S. It reveals that the two leading standards in the country are Standard 90.1 referred to as the Energy Standard for Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings and the International Energy Conservation...
- 5 ENERGY EFFICIENCY TIPS. // Finweek;9/9/2010, p12
The article offers tips for energy efficiency which include smart scheduling use of lighting and air-conditioning equipment, training the staff on new technology, and using daylight in providing natural light for interior spaces.
- Wireless Mesh Networks. Yu, Ross; Petock, Marc // Heating/Piping/Air Conditioning Engineering;Nov2005, Vol. 77 Issue 11, p9
Focuses on the role of energy-management service providers in helping U.S. grocery stores and manufacturers in attaining energy savings with tools that analyze and aggregate loads, benchmark facilities. Approach that should be taken by energy-management service providers to achieve significant...
- Automated Demand Response. McGowan, Jack // Energy & Power Management;Feb2007, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p8
The author reflects on the contribution of technology on energy conservation in the U.S. The issue on the bulk of energy management has been tackled. It is stated that the utilities had no way of knowing the exact efficiency and demand limiting has been implemented. Also discussed is the...
- Basic conservation strategies can lead to big savings. Stark, Anna // Hotel & Motel Management;7/1/2009, Vol. 224 Issue 8, p16
The article provides helpful ideas on how to have an effective energy conservation strategy in hotels in the U.S. It advises that hotel operators should use the Energy Star Portfolio Manager tool from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency because it will enable them to track and manage the...
- It All Starts with One Element. // SDM: Security Distributing & Marketing;Apr2012, Vol. 42 Issue 4, p86
The article offers suggestions related to home energy management and mentions the enhancement of lighting modules.
- Achieving steady improvements. Napper, Simon // Works Management;Apr2002, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p54
Explains the role of monitoring and targeting in reducing energy consumption. Importance of accurate measurement in identifying energy consumption and tracking improvements; Establishing a starting point or baseline; Detailed quantification of consumption.