Learn to Be a Politician Without Partisanship
- Work with Your Elected Officials for Greater Success. MATHIS, JANICE; CERMAK, JOHN; MATHIS, BILL // Fire Engineering;Jan2016, Vol. 159 Issue 1, p14
The article reports that working with elected officials increases success in fire department. Topics discussed include relationship between officials and fire department for efficiency, department management with board members, limited confidential conversations with board members, informing...
- PEOPLE NEWS. // Fire Chief;Nov2003, Vol. 47 Issue 11, p14
Reports on developments related to public officers and fire fighters in the U.S. Selection of Rhoda Mae Kerr as fire chief of Little Rock Fire Department; Recognition of R. David Paulison by the Society of Fire Protection Engineers; Election of Anne von Weller as the first woman board president...
- Survey: Most Chiefs Use Web Daily. // Fire Chief;Nov2003, Vol. 47 Issue 11, p15
Presents the results of a survey on Web habits of fire service officials in the U.S. Description of users of themselves; Uses of the Internet.
- When Labor and Management Collaborate, Both Sides Win. Parow, Jack // Fire Chief;May2011, Vol. 55 Issue 5, p24
In this article, the author discusses the importance of labor and management collaboration to improve the fire-service quality rendered by fire departments in the U.S. He stresses the need to institutionalize the labor-management cooperation practices. The author also cited that communication...
- Improving fireground radio communications. Bingham, Robert C. // Fire Engineering;Feb97, Vol. 150 Issue 2, p38
Presents suggestions to help improve fire departments' communication systems. Includes focusing on the importance of buying the right radios; Basics to focus on; Correcting address; Importance of listening skills; Need for establishing a fireground channel; Informal size-up reports; Returning...
- FDNY fire officials to reprogram new digital radios. // Fire Engineering;Oct2001, Vol. 154 Issue 10, p63
Reports on the reprogram of new digital radios to analog system by the fire officials in New York, New York. Source of conflict between the firefighters union and department management; Provision of training to the firefighters regarding the use of digital radios; Disadvantage of the analog system.
- Managing information for the fire department. Moriarty, Michael // Fire Engineering;Apr95, Vol. 148 Issue 4, p48
Presents advice in managing the fire department's information system. Increasing use of computers in fire departments; Information system components; Creation of a customized information system. INSET: Sources of system analysis training..
- Ill. Chief Accused of Double-Dipping Pension. // Fire Chief Exclusive Insight;4/19/2011, p3
The article focuses on the integrity of the actions of Winnetka, Illinois Fire Department's chief Alan Berkowsky questioned by the residents. The more than $120,000 payment for Berkowsky on his new job in the area has led for some of the residents in Evanston to suggest he is "double dipping" or...
- The Importance of Explaining Your Budget Needs to the Public. Rielage, Robert // Fire Chief Expert Blog;8/13/2012, p3
The article presents the author's views on the importance of explaining fire department's budget needs to the public in the U.S. He mentions the need to be transparent in a non-threatening way to both the people and public officials. He suggests that fire chiefs must prepare first their facts...