- New in cars: designer polymers. Higgins, Amy; Koucky, Sherri // Machine Design;1/10/2002, Vol. 74 Issue 1, p39
Reports on a study conducted by materials researchers at the National Institute of Standards and Technology concerning the use of recyclable plastic parts in cars and trucks. Properties of polyolefins.
- SMC auto parts grow 8% in '98. // Plastics Technology;May98, Vol. 44 Issue 5, p78
Reports that the SMC Automotive Alliance has stated that the usage of SMC plastic components in automobile parts have increased in 1998. Growth in structural and drive-train components; Share of the automotive SMC total for nontraditional uses.
- Blow molding finds new home under the hood. // Plastics Technology;Feb99, Vol. 45 Issue 2, p58
Focuses on McCord-Winn Textron Inc.'s development of a technique for blow molding large automotive under-hood parts. Proposal to introduce the design concept on a DaimlerChrysler truck; Reservoir Integration Technology; Utilization of a high-melt-strength polypropylene copolymer from Montell.
- Auto firms work to predict design snags. Pryweller, Joseph // Plastics News;4/26/1999, Vol. 11 Issue 10, p17
Reports on automobile manufacturers' concern about plastic shrinkage and warpage in design. Physical problems with resin-based auto parts; Difficulty in predicting shrinkage and design; Design prediction research efforts of General Motors Corp., GE Plastics and the University of Michigan in Ann...
- Recycling an old idea. Sorge, Marjorie // Ward's Auto World;Sep94, Vol. 30 Issue 9, p67
Focuses on the efforts of automobile companies in the United States in developing technology to recover and recycle cars and parts. Description of programs and processes used by car manufacturers to recycle automobile shredded residue such as plastic, rubber, rust, dirt and fluids; Challenges...
- Composites gain ground under the hood. Miel, Rhoda // Plastics News;7/10/2000, Vol. 12 Issue 19, p12
Discusses the use of composites in under-the-hood automotive components. Dominant role of plastics in the market; Competition for parts such as cam covers, valve covers, oil pans and fuel-tank heat shields; Automotive industry's interest in lightweight metals; Other materials gaining a share in...
- Kantus touts 1-piece PP instrument panel. Esposito, Frank; Pryweller, Joseph // Plastics News;03/22/99, Vol. 11 Issue 5, p20
Reports that Kantus Corp. has claimed to have made the industry's largest one-piece polypropylene instrument panel for the 1999 Honda Odyssey.
- Plastic reinforces metal in Audi front end. // Plastics Technology;May98, Vol. 44 Issue 5, p72
Reports on the commercial application of Bayer AG's plastic/metal hybrid technology. Use in the front-end cross member for the Audi A6 automobile; Use of injection molded plastic to reinforce a metal component; Replacement of compression molded glass-mat/thermoplastic parts.
- Recycler invests millions in car market. Pryweller, Joseph // Waste News;11/15/99, Vol. 5 Issue 27, p10
Reports on the opening of two automotive recycling plants by Alpharetta, Georgia-based plastics recycling developer Polymer Sciences Inc. Financial investment; Location sites; Background of business operations of the two plants; Removal of paint and contaminants from thermoplastic olefin bumper...