TRY TELEMARKING at these New York State operated ski areas
- Snow time like the present. Johnson, Celia // Travel Weekly Australia;4/4/2008, Issue 85, p20
The article features top skiing spots in New Zealand. Coronet Peak is 18 kilometers from Queenstown and offers friendly slopes, magic carpet, beginner tows and automated snow guns to enhance snow cover. The newly developed terrain park of the Remarkables, The Stash offered a kilometer-long run...
- FIRE IN THE HOLE! Brackin, Geordie // Skiing;Mar/Apr2006, Vol. 58 Issue 7, p60
The article provides tips on skiing a slope. Light a fuse, toss a two-pounder, start an avalanche. Snowbasin and Brighton, Utah and Wolf Creek, Colorado, are the only North American resorts to have remote controls that allow patrollers to detonate safely from the shack. Alaska's Alyeska resort,...
- Work The Rolls. Cline, Aleisha // Skiing;Feb2004, Vol. 56 Issue 6, p42
Offers some techniques for skiers when passing through washboard bumps or rolls. Hand position when entering the bumps; Movements at the top of each roll; Leg movements when moving toward another roll.
- Climb the Ladder. Kerig, Bill // Skiing;Mar/Apr2005, Vol. 57 Issue 7, p49
Presents tips for skiers on climbing ski mountain slopes. Advantages of using skis as an aid for climbing.
- TETON PASS, WYOMING. Gonzales, David // Skiing;Mar/Apr2005, Vol. 57 Issue 7, p60
Presents information on the Teton Pass Ski Resort in Wyoming. Route options; Background on the resort's slopes and bowls. INSET: STAGECOACH BAR, WILSON, WYOMING.
- dr. flake. // Skiing;Oct2005, Vol. 58 Issue 2, p76
Addresses several questions about skiing. Way to survive an avalanche; Difference between grade and slopes in degrees; Advice on finding durable skis.
- TELE CRAZY IN VERMONT. Shinn, Peggy // Ski;Nov2004 Supplement, Vol. 69, p8
Provides information on telemark skiing. Reasons behind the increase in the popularity of the sport; Information on the ski resorts in Vermont that offer telemark lessons; Overview of the lessons offered by the telemark ski school in Mad River, Vermont.
- Feel the Pinch. Rigby, Kasha // Skiing;Jan2004, Vol. 56 Issue 5, p52
Provides tips for intermediate telemarker skiers on facing the fall line in a ski slope. Suggested position of the body when making a turn; Approach to doing a counter-rotation.
- Is Telemarking Stupid? FREEHEEL DOESN'T MEAN SLOW. Hansen, Eric // Skiing;Mar/Apr2007, Vol. 59 Issue 7, p42
This article presents a letter by Eric Hansen regarding the virtues of telemark skiing and claims that telemark skiing is superior to alpine skiing. Hansen recounts telemarking in La Grave, France, the physics of telemark skiing, and claims that telemark skiers are tougher and more skilled than...