The Curse of Nyaminyami
- Tainted bonds. Caufield, Catherine // Whole Earth;Spring98, Issue 92, p88
Details the issues surrounding the construction of the Three Gorges Dam in Yangtze River, China. Foreign financing for the dam; Dam's cost and benefits; Technical, social, environmental and economic feasibility; Politically motivated megaproject; Indirect financing scheme.
- It All Came Tumbling Down. Reese, April // E: The Environmental Magazine;Sep/Oct99, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p26
Reports that on July 1, 1999, the Edwards Dam in Augusta, Maine was breached, clearing the way for species of migratory fish. Contribution of the hydroelectric dam to the state's electricity; Other dams slated for decommissioning.
- Still waters cause a stir at Chaffey. // Ecos;Winter95, Issue 84, p4
Presents information on a project, being sponsored by Cooperative Research Center for Freshwater Ecology on the Tamworth's Chaffey Dam. Who research is led by; What aim of the project is; Details of the project. INSET: Troubleshooting with Ecotrekker..
- Safety effort accelerates slowly. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;9/23/96, Vol. 237 Issue 13, p14
Reports on the slowness of progress of the National Performance of Dams Program in the United States. Lack of commitment from public agencies, consultants and owners to report incidents that may be beneficial to others in preventing problems; Scarcity of states reporting on a regular basis;...
- Two inflatable impoundments to anchor Tempe revitalization. Rosta, Paul B. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;02/23/98, Vol. 240 Issue 8, p25
Focuses on an application of an inflatable rubber dam to help an oasis bloom in the Arizona desert of the Salado River in Tempe which will be transformed into a 2-mile long recreational lake. Cost of the project; Comments from Steve Nielsen, the city's project manager; Reference to inflatable...
- THE KARIBA DAM. Stalcup, Ann // Faces (07491387);Dec2003, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p22
Presents information on the Kariba Dam, built on Lake Kariba, by the government of Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Edwards Dam removal. // Fly Fisherman;Dec97, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p42
Reports the recommendation of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) for the removal of the Edwards Dam in Augusta, Maine. Purpose of the removal of the dam; Supporters of the Commission in their action in line with the restoration of the Kennebec River.
- Remove presumpscot dams. // Fly Fisherman;Mar2000, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p35
Reports on the Friends of the Presumpscot River's campaign for the removal of some of the dams on the Presumpscot River in Maine.
- ANOTHER DAM BITES THE DUST. // Fly Fisherman;Sep2008, Vol. 39 Issue 6, p27
The article presents information on Chiloquin Dam on the Sprague River in south central Oregon, that will be removed in October 2008 as part of the Klamath Basin Water Agreements.