Teak forests threat
- THE UNSUNG ANCIENTS. Stahle, David W. // Natural History;Feb2002, Vol. 111 Issue 1, p48
Focuses on the survival of ancient trees in North America. Endurance in high, rocky solitude; Description of the commercial logging history; Nature of the aesthetic appeal of old woodlands.
- HOW TO FELL A TREE. // Popular Mechanics;Apr2015, Vol. 192 Issue 3, p68
The article offers step-by-step instructions for cut a tree.
- Lumber Jills. Palacios, Monica // Lesbian News;Apr2001, Vol. 26 Issue 9, p27
Relates experiences in indoor lumber jacking. Desire of removing the Christmas tree from the house; Failure to remove the tree; Initiative of the girlfriend to dismantle the tree.
- Monkey puzzle wars end in hunger. Lewington, Anna // New Scientist;5/7/94, Vol. 142 Issue 1924, p10
Reports on the impact of the depletion of monkey puzzle tree Araucaria araucana) on the Pehuenche Indians of the Quinquen Valley in Chile. Monkey puzzle tree as threatened species; Demand for the tree as valuable timber and food source; Protected species status by the government; Claims of...
- Managing Lean in Felling Operations. Tain, Michael "House" // Arbor Age;Nov/Dec2011, Vol. 31 Issue 8, p10
The article discusses about lean management during tree-cutting operations. Side lean is a common issue faced by arborists when chopping down trees, where it is described by its lean or canopy weight to one portion or the other of the direction of the fall. Lean in trees can be handled by...
- Selective felling as a potential tool for maintaining biodiversity in managed forests. Ola Atlegrim; Kjell Sjöberg // Biodiversity & Conservation;Jun2004, Vol. 13 Issue 6, p1123
In Sweden one forestry method, the clear-cutting method, has been used all over the country despite differences in climate, topography etc. At present there is a growing interest in using alternative methods such as selective felling, which to a larger extent mimic natural disturbances. In this...
- Harvesting the forests. Fox, Dan // Ecologist;Jun2003, Vol. 33 Issue 5, p18
Presents information on Timberking TK1162, a feller buncher used in cutting trees in forests in Great Britain. Capabilities of the feller buncher; Number of harvesters and feller bunchers operating in Great Britain. INSET: INDUSTRIAL FORESTRY.
- EFFECTS OF FELLING GAP PROXIMITY ON RESIDUAL TREE MORTALITY AND GROWTH IN A DIPTEROCARP FOREST IN EAST KALIMANTAN, INDONESIA. Ruslandi; Halperin, J.; Putz, F. E. // Journal of Tropical Forest Science;Jan2012, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p110
The effects of proximity to felling gaps on residual trees in a selectively logged forest were monitored for eight years after nine 4-ha plots (n = 3 per treatment) were subjected to one of two intensities of reduced-impact logging (RIL), i.e. either 50 or 60 cm diameter cutting limits, or...
- KINGS OF THE FOREST. Clausen, Lisa // Time International (South Pacific Edition);12/17/2001, Issue 50, p52
Discusses how hardwood trees in Tasmania's Styx Valley are being logged, even though they are part of the state forest. Reasons for logging the trees; Dispute between the wood industry and environmentalists; Success of the woodchipping industry.