"She left a sizable RRSP"
- HERE BELOW. Angell, Roger // New Yorker;1/16/2006, Vol. 81 Issue 44, p38
The article features several inscriptions found on grave markers in Palisades Cemetery in New York. Some notable markers were for engineer Isaac D. Tallman, Daniel Post, John Sergeant and Solomon Glezen Jr.
- Grave Commentary. Bauman, Richard // World & I;Mar2007, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p3
The article presents several examples of humorous epitaphs. It explains that epitaphs, or grave commentaries, are enduring statements about those buried beneath them. It adds that others call them headstones, gravestones, or tombstones, but they essentially mean the same thing, a plaque of some...
- AMEN. // American Heritage;Apr1971, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p110
The article presents a discussion about a saying on a gravestone and a question to who does that quote belong to. The quote states "Young to the pulpit did he get, / And seventy-two years in't did he sweat." It mentions that the epitaph was for Reverend John Higginson, who was born in England in...
- POP ON ICE. Smith, Wen // Saturday Evening Post;Jul/Aug99, Vol. 271 Issue 4, p32
Expresses disagreement on the use of epitaphs in graveyards. Case of placing the word `Dad,' in an epitaph; Reasons for prohibiting nicknames or petnames in epitaph by church authorities.
- The Renaissance Epitaph. McFarlane, Ian D. // Modern Language Review;Oct1986, Vol. 81 Issue 4, following p1056
The article presents the author's views on a genre of literature called Renaissance epitaph. He says on reflection, the Renaissance epitaph seemed to him to be one that met his requirements: the genre exerts its appeal upon all people, inevitable candidates for such an honour; it often carries a...
- OUTRAGE OF THE WEEK! // Gay & Lesbian Times;3/30/2006, Issue 953, p24
The article reports on the refusal of cemetery officials to the request of Rick Paolino to indicate him as Justin Paolino's husband in the inscription on the crypt cemetery in Cranston, Rhode Island. The couple married in Massachusetts. Officials at Saint Anne's Cemetery refused to include the...
- UPON EPITAPHS. Wordsworth // Century of English Essays;1/1/1913, p22
An essay is presented on epitaphs which are inscribed upon on monuments. It explores the invention of epitaphs which proceeded from the fore-feeling of immortality. It reflects the advantages of burying the dead beyond the walls of town and cities during the ancient times or interred by the...
- THE SEARCH: OLD CEMETERIES. SMITH, WANDA MCANN // North Louisiana Historical Association Journal;Fall1983, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p169
The article focuses on author's unusual passion for old forgotten cemeteries in Northeastern Louisiana. Among the cemeteries the author discovered are the Burns Cemetery in Haughton, Gilmer Cemetery, in the Webster Parish near the Bossier Parish line and Mims Cemetery, located near Highway 179...
- Epitaph on a Dull Parson. Anonymous // Saturday Evening Post;Jul/Aug1976, Vol. 248 Issue 5, p82
Presents an epitaph that commemorates the life of a clergyman.