West Virginia Governor Seeks to Avoid Further Cuts, Despite Falling Revenues
- Outgoing West Virginia Governor May Call Special. Gambling Session. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;12/7/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32024, p38
The article reports that West Virginia Governor Bob Wise announced that he is considering calling a special session of the Legislature before his term expires in January to try to legalize table gambling in the state, a measure he says could help address the state's impending budget deficit over...
- Wise Shuffle. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;11/6/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31756, p35
Reports on the appointments made by West Virginia Governor Bob Wise to his senior staff and cabinet. Joe Martin; Keith Burdette; Erica Mani.
- W. Virginia's New Governor Has Plans to Keep Things Moving. Floyd, Daniel F. // Bond Buyer;11/30/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 31027, p32
Focuses on the challenges facing West Virginia Governor-elect Bob Wise. Lag of the state in economic growth and environmental health; Efforts of the state to diversify its economy; Dependence on mining and manufacturing.
- No New Term. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;8/14/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31699, p34
Reports on the reluctance of Virginia governor Bob Wise to contest for his seat when his term ends. Factors that led to Wise's reluctance; Plans of Wise to spend time with his family.
- W. Va. Turns to Tobacco. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;1/29/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31810, p1
Reports on the proposal of Governor Bob Wise to issue a multi-million dollar taxable revenue bonds supported by the state's share of tobacco settlement funds in West Virginia. Use of the proceeds to pay a portion of the state's pension liabilities; Selling of the rights to the tobacco...
- Alaska GOP Wants to Put More Of Knowle's Debt Plans to Voters. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;5/1/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31377, p3
Reports on the continuing debate of lawmakers in reinstating a state income tax to raise revenues in Alaska. Comments of Republican Senator Pete Kelly on general obligations (GO) bond proposal; Impact of the GO package on the school budget; Concerns on budget deficit.
- West Virginia Governor Delivers Solemn View of State's Economy. Floyd, Daniel F. // Bond Buyer;02/16/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31079, p6
Reports the proposals of Governor Bob Wise to improve the economy of West Virginia. Outline of the budgetary shortfalls; Views of the governor on budgetary problems; Cancellation of the 94 million-dollar worth in road contracts; Creation of an internal audit and risk assessment office.
- West Virginia Pension Deal May Be Put on the Table Again. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;2/7/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31569, p4
Focuses on efforts of West Virginia's governor Bob Wise and Pension Bond Review Committee to get a legislative approval for a multi-billion dollar sale of taxable general obligation bonds. Interest rates that have prompted state officials to renew their efforts in that direction; Governor who...
- Gov. Wise to Push for W. Va. Tobacco, Pension Bond Deals. Vekshin, Alison // Bond Buyer;12/13/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31284, p32
Focuses on West Virginia governor Bob Wise's push for the issue of tobacco and taxable pension bonds. Total value of the bonds; Payments received by the state according to a settlement; Law of the state related to tobacco settlement funds.