UK plc needs better management and leadership
- Comments from the Senior Editor. Hunt, Jerry // Leadership Quarterly;Aug2002, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p325
Introduces a series of articles on qualitative and quantitative methods of leadership. Distributive leadership topics; Statistical methodology for longitudinal research; Other themes and topics.
- Leader vs. Executive. Gerstner Jr., Louis V. // Across the Board;Mar/Apr2003, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p10
Presents an article on the characteristics of a model corporate leader. Practice of modern-day senior executives.
- A Higher Standard. Panchak, Patricia // Industry Week/IW;Aug2002, Vol. 251 Issue 7, p7
Discusses the characteristics that are essential to business leadership. Determinants of effective business leadership; Selection of the best-managed companies by 'Industry Week' magazine.
- The Trouble with Leadership Theories. Sundheim, Doug // Harvard Business Review Digital Articles;5/5/2014, p2
The author stresses the importance for business leaders to not just rely on leadership theories and, instead, make their own reflection of leadership based on their gut and experience and what they truly have found to work, and shares his own thinking about great leadership.
- Leading vs. managing. Wiesner, Pat // ColoradoBiz;Dec2002, Vol. 29 Issue 12, p9
Comments on the interrelation between industrial management and leadership. Characteristics of a good manager; Need for managers to create sense of loyalty in employees; Importance of caring and listening to employees.
- Three Leaders. Senge, Peter // Executive Excellence;Feb2002, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p5
Describes characteristics and roles of three types of business leaders. Local line leaders; Executive leaders; Internal networkers.
- The 4 Competencies of Leadership. Bennis, Warren // Training & Development Journal;Aug84, Vol. 38 Issue 8, p14
Discusses the distinctions between a real leader and an effective manager. Leadership gap experienced in the U.S. business sector; Role of good leadership in sustaining improvement; Management of the attention of employees; Desirable leadership qualities.
- Corporate Leadership Skills: A New Synthesis. Byrd, Richard E. // Organizational Dynamics;Summer87, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p34
Examines the essence of corporate leadership in the U.S. Categories of management skills; Characteristics of corporate leaders; Improvement of task management.
- Today's execs need leadership, not just management. Weathersby // Inside Tucson Business;11/29/99, Vol. 9 Issue 36, p5
Emphasizes the need for leadership among executives. Reference to a study by Cornell University's Center for Advanced Human Resource Studies on work-force mobility; Difference between management and leadership; Characteristics of an effective leader.
- Emotional Leadership. Bardwick, Judith // Executive Excellence;Mar2000, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p8
Discusses six things which executives must do to fulfill the emotional need for a leader which people have during times of change, crisis and urgency. Importance of defining the business of the business; Creation of a winning strategy; Persuasive communication; Integrity of leaders; Respect for...