UK plc needs better management and leadership
- Comments from the Senior Editor. Hunt, Jerry // Leadership Quarterly;Aug2002, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p325
Introduces a series of articles on qualitative and quantitative methods of leadership. Distributive leadership topics; Statistical methodology for longitudinal research; Other themes and topics.
- Leading vs. managing. Wiesner, Pat // ColoradoBiz;Dec2002, Vol. 29 Issue 12, p9
Comments on the interrelation between industrial management and leadership. Characteristics of a good manager; Need for managers to create sense of loyalty in employees; Importance of caring and listening to employees.
- Three Leaders. Senge, Peter // Executive Excellence;Feb2002, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p5
Describes characteristics and roles of three types of business leaders. Local line leaders; Executive leaders; Internal networkers.
- Corporate Leadership Skills: A New Synthesis. Byrd, Richard E. // Organizational Dynamics;Summer87, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p34
Examines the essence of corporate leadership in the U.S. Categories of management skills; Characteristics of corporate leaders; Improvement of task management.
- The 4 Competencies of Leadership. Bennis, Warren // Training & Development Journal;Aug84, Vol. 38 Issue 8, p14
Discusses the distinctions between a real leader and an effective manager. Leadership gap experienced in the U.S. business sector; Role of good leadership in sustaining improvement; Management of the attention of employees; Desirable leadership qualities.
- Today's execs need leadership, not just management. Weathersby // Inside Tucson Business;11/29/99, Vol. 9 Issue 36, p5
Emphasizes the need for leadership among executives. Reference to a study by Cornell University's Center for Advanced Human Resource Studies on work-force mobility; Difference between management and leadership; Characteristics of an effective leader.
- Leader vs. Executive. Gerstner Jr., Louis V. // Across the Board;Mar/Apr2003, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p10
Presents an article on the characteristics of a model corporate leader. Practice of modern-day senior executives.
- A Higher Standard. Panchak, Patricia // Industry Week/IW;Aug2002, Vol. 251 Issue 7, p7
Discusses the characteristics that are essential to business leadership. Determinants of effective business leadership; Selection of the best-managed companies by 'Industry Week' magazine.
- Emotional Leadership. Bardwick, Judith // Executive Excellence;Mar2000, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p8
Discusses six things which executives must do to fulfill the emotional need for a leader which people have during times of change, crisis and urgency. Importance of defining the business of the business; Creation of a winning strategy; Persuasive communication; Integrity of leaders; Respect for...
- Conceptual Thinking. Hamel, Gary // Executive Excellence;Apr2000, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p17
Discusses the business leader's role to be a conceptual, strategic thinker and bold action taker. Strong correlation between the level of conceptual thinking and the quality of leadership; Warning against signs of strategic decay.