- Trouble Tactics. Cornell, Jennifer // Fire Chief;Apr2006, Vol. 50 Issue 4, p82
The article discusses the use of the concept of progressive discipline to handle firefighter discipline problems in fire departments. The Incident Command System (ICS) works on the concept that all emergency incidents have similar underlying components. Clarification of rules and consequences...
- An innovative approach to fire department command staffing. Vorlander, Phillip C. // Fire Engineering;Aug96, Vol. 149 Issue 8, p131
Presents an innovative approach to fire department command staffing. Madison, Wisconsin Fire Department's conventional line/staff manner; Implementation of the Madison Command Staffing System; Advantages of the system.
- Company staffing: The proof is in your numbers. Lawrence, Cortez // Fire Engineering;Apr95, Vol. 148 Issue 4, p61
Discusses the resolution of a staffing problem in the Auburn Fire Department in Alabama. Controversy regarding staffing in fire departments in the country; Creation of a firefighting team in the Auborn Fire Department in the late 1980s; Problems regarding the size and the composition of the...
- Progressive discipline. Fulmer, David B. // Fire Engineering;Dec99, Vol. 152 Issue 12, p8
Focuses on the progressive levels of discipline enforced on fire service personnels in the United States. Discipline as a tool for regulating proper behaviors and actions expected from an organization member; Process consisting of verbal warning, reprimand, suspension and termination; Narration...
- Discipline with dignity: A positive approach for managers. Wittenberg, Peter M. // Federal Probation;Sep95, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p40
Presents a discussion on how to prepare an employee for disciplinary action for managers. Preparation in order to defuse negative reactions that accompany most employee disciplinary decisions; Discussion on how to afford employee a level of dignit y furing the disciplinary process.
- Performance Management For Jekyll And Hyde. Segal, Jonathan A. // HRMagazine;Feb99, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p130
Discusses some aspects of performance management. Discipline for not meeting expectations; Risk of employers that attempt to address the real cause of an employee's workplace problem; Right of an employee before receiving any discipline.
- Guidelines for the progressive discipline of employees. Ramsey, Robert D. // Supervision;Feb98, Vol. 59 Issue 2, p10
Offers guideline for the progressive discipline of employees. Definition; Steps to expedite the process; Oral reprimands; Written letters of reprimands; Suspension; Termination; Employee defenses.
- Turning 4-year-olds into model employees. Haskell, Lew // Indianapolis Business Journal;6/24/96, Vol. 17 Issue 14, p16B
Presents advice on how to get employees to accept responsibility. Includes establishment of a vision statement for the firm or the department; Addition of a values statement outline the way things will be done or the standards of behavior; Determination of the extent of the problem; Direct...
- Successfully implementing discipline. Gill, Brian W. // American Printer;Nov96, Vol. 218 Issue 2, p70
Discusses how printing companies can implement a positive discipline policy. Need for companies to adopt a philosophy that embraces education and correction as the focus of their discipline policy; Sample of a progressive disciplinary policy.