Heart healthy in 30 minutes
- The challenge experience. Thoennes, Bill // Minnesota Fire Chief;Mar/Apr2011, Vol. 47 Issue 4, p30
The article highlights the physical endurance challenge called the SCOTT Fire Fighter Combat Challenge that was faced by four firefighters from Alexandria and one from Garfield in Minnesota which took place in Evansville, Indiana on October 16, 2010. The participating Alexandrian firefighters...
- Fitness and body fat. Williford, Henry N.; Scharf-Olson, Michele // Fire Engineering;Aug98, Vol. 151 Issue 8, p83
Analyzes the relationship between body fat, physical fitness and firefighter performance. Importance of physical fitness to firefighting; Effects of added weight to physical performance; Comparison of firefighters' body composition values with 15 and 25 percent body fat; Evaluation of the...
- Five-Alarm Fitness. Kusek, Kristyn // Glamour;Mar99, Vol. 97 Issue 3, p74
Provides information on Firefighter Training, a fitness class based on fire-academy training developed by Eric Torres, a firefighter instructor at Crunch in New York City, New York. Details on the training.
- Are you fighting fit? Davis, Lyndon // Occupational Health;Apr2003, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p20
Focuses on a study that examined the evidence-based fitness program adopted at South Wales Fire Service on a sample of firefighters. Criteria for inclusion in the study; Age ranges of the firefighters; Level of physical training within the sample population; Aerobic capacity of firefighters...
- Power House. Bloom, Marc // Runner's World;Nov2006, Vol. 41 Issue 12, p27
The article discusses the only all-female fire fighting team in the U.S. and their workout program.
- Company Standards: An alternative to physical performance testing. Lecuyer, John // Fire Engineering;Feb99, Vol. 152 Issue 2, p89
Discusses the use of company standards to replace physical fitness and performance tests for training fire fighters. Advantages of using company standards include the compatibility of the standards to actual job tasks; General guidelines in implementing company standards; Correlations...
- Texas firefighters asked to help in firefighter health and fitness survey. // Fire Engineering;Aug2004, Vol. 157 Issue 8, p58
Reports on the plan of the Texas Commission on Fire Protection Committee to survey the status of Texas firefighters' wellness and fitness.
- SO YOU WANT TO BE A FIREFIGHTER. Kissinger, Judith K. // Fire Management Today;Spring2002, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p39
Focuses on the professional requirements of firefighters in the U.S. List of training courses required; Importance of passing the fitness tests; Safety equipments needed. INSETS: EXAMPLE: REQUIREMENTS FOR AN INCIDENT INFORMATION OFFICER;FIRE PACK SAMPLE ITEMS.
- MISSOULA TECHNOLOGY AND DEVELOPMENT CENTER LOOKS AT WAYS TO IMPROVE THE HEALTH, WELFARE, AND PERFORMANCE OF FIREFIGHTERS. Henderson, Tory // Fire Management Today;Winter2008, Vol. 68 Issue 1, p24
The article discusses the firefighter fitness program developed by Missoula Technology and Development Center (MTDC). Based in Washington, D.C., the MTDC began studying the energy, cardiovascular and thermal demands of wildland firefighters, as early as 1965. Also noted in this entry are studies...