Jet engine exhaust is the new weapon in mine fire suppression
- WEST ELK MINE FIRE EXTINGUISHED. // Coal Age;Jul2000, Vol. 105 Issue 7, p9
Reports that the mine fire at the West Elk mine has been extinguished by flooding the suspected fire area with water. Information on the approach used in extinguishing the fire.
- Genius at Work. RIECHER, ANTON // Industrial Fire World;Spring2013, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p10
The article recounts the life and work of Phil F. Cummins, founder of the fire equipment rental business Centennial. He had several inventions dedicated to industrial firefighting. He worked as project security coordinator at General Dynamics and one of his successes here is the creation of the...
- FIREFIGHTING ISN'T ROCKET SCIENCE, OR IS IT? // Boys' Life;Jan2004, Vol. 94 Issue 1, p11
Deals with the use of an Australian fire fighting system which utilized a jet engine to extinguish a coal-mine fire at the Loveridge Mine in West Virginia in April 2003.
- POLISH TECHNOLOGY HELPS PINNACLE FIRE. // Coal Age;Jan2004, Vol. 109 Issue 1, p15
Deals with the move of PinnOak Resources to employ Polish technology from the Central Mines Rescue Station in Bytom, Poland to put out the Pinnacle mine fire which persisted since September 1, 2003. Information on the Polish GAG jet engine; Details of how the Polish technology works.
- ALLIANCE EXTINGUISHES DOTIKI MINE FIRE. // Coal Age;Mar2004, Vol. 109 Issue 3, p15
Reports on the success of Alliance Resource Partners in its efforts to extinguish a mine fire at its Dotiki mine in Providence, Kentucky. Actions taken by the employees and mine rescue teams to extinguish the fire; Remarks from Charlie Wesley, senior vice president of operations, on the efforts...
- DIMINISHING OF ECOLOGICAL RISK VIA OPTIMIZATION OF FIRE-EXTINGUISHING SYSTEM PROJECTS IN TIMBER-YARDS. Vasiliev, M. I.; Movchan, I. O.; Koval, O. M. // Scientific Bulletin of National Mining University;2014, Issue 5, p106
Purpose. To develop the method of estimation of dependence of ecological risk from fire in mine timberyards and its reduction via introduction of optimum projects of fire-extinguishing systems. Methodology. To solve the problem the foundations of the reliability theory were used. We determined...
- MASSEY ENERGY ANNOUNCES NEW SAFETY INITIATIVES. // Coal Age;Sep2006, Vol. 111 Issue 9, p16
The article reports on safety initiatives announced by Massey Energy to help prevent underground mine fires and to improve mine fire response efforts. Don Blankenship, chairman and CEO for Massey Energy, says that they believe the initiatives will improve mine safety. The initiatives include...
- JET ENGINE TECHNOLOGY QUELLS LOVERIDGE FIRE. // Coal Age;Jun2003, Vol. 108 Issue 6, p11
Reports on the effect of the use of a non-traditional technology by CONSOL Energy Inc. to snuff out a fire deep inside its Loveridge underground mine in West Virginia on the potential downtime of the coal mine. Use of a jet engine provided by Queensland Mine Rescue Service Ltd. of Australia;...
- Keeping cool under fire. Thompson, Terri // Boys' Life;Jan1993, Vol. 83 Issue 1, p25
Describes the job of a firefighter who must not only fight fires but also save lives. Type of incidents firefighters deal with; Educational requirements and special courses; Type of tests that must be passed to become a firefighter.