NFPA study identifies gaps in U.S. fire service
- NOT QUIET on the Fire Service Front. Neely, Greg // Fire Chief;Sep2003, Vol. 47 Issue 9, p30
Focuses on the problem of U.S. fire departments related to homeland security budget. Competition with other agencies under the Homeland Security Office; Launch of an Integrated Emergency Management System.
- DPS Achievements Create A Safer Minnesota. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2006, Vol. 43 Issue 2, p6
The article presents an update on the achievements of the divisions of the Department of Public Safety in Minnesota in 2006. The fire investigations completed by the State Fire Marshal Division increased over the previous year. The incidents and subsequent investigations of the Minnesota Office...
- Letters to the Editor. // Fire Engineering;Jun2003, Vol. 156 Issue 6, p42
Presents letters to the editor concerning firefighting in the U.S. Use of the old-style method of raising an extension ladder; Role of fire service on homeland acts of aggression; Emphasis on the misconception of about the engineering aspects of radio systems.
- 1918 Influenza Pandemic: Lessons for Homeland Security. Mahoney, Patrick S. // Fire Engineering;Jul2008, Vol. 161 Issue 7, p111
The article looks at the 1918 influenza pandemic in the United States, and highlights the lessons for homeland security. It details how the pandemic killed more people in 24 weeks than AIDS has killed in 24 years. The article also discusses the need for fire and emergency management services...
- News in Brief. // Fire Engineering;Apr2004, Vol. 157 Issue 4, p62
Presents news briefs related to fire prevention in the United States as of April 2004. Major challenges facing fire departments in 2004; Department of Homeland Security's adoption of National Fire Protection Association standards for equipment purchases; Connection between alcohol abuse and...
- DHS PROPOSES FIRE SERVICE HITS. Manning, Bill // Fire Engineering;Mar2004, Vol. 157 Issue 3, p10
Comments on expected federal funding cuts on the firefighting sector if the U.S. Congress passes the Bush administration's proposal to increase the Department of Homeland Security's budget in 2005. Reduction of financing for the State Homeland Security Grant Program by more than half; Cuts in...
- PRIDE AND OWNERSHIP: THE LOVE FOR THE JOB. Lasky, Rick // Fire Engineering;May2004, Vol. 157 Issue 5, p107
Focuses on the roles and responsibilities of firefighters in the United States. Fire prevention; Homeland security; Promotion of family values.
- IAFF submits comments on Homeland Security Presidential Directive. // Fire Engineering;Mar2005, Vol. 156 Issue 3, p52
The article reports on comments regarding Homeland Security Presidential Directive issued by the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF). The recommendations refer to the draft pertaining to National Preparedness Capabilities Summaries for Homeland Security Presidential Directive 8. It...
- COMPANY/ASSOCIATION NEWS. // Fire Engineering;Sep2004, Vol. 157 Issue 9, p114
The article presents information related to various fire departments. In June, the U.S. Conference of Mayors unanimously endorsed full funding of $750 million for the Department of Homeland Security's Assistance to Fire Fighters Grants Program and for maintaining its management by the U.S. Fire...