- Overhauling your organizational goals. Shouldis, William // Fire Engineering;Aug96, Vol. 149 Issue 8, p22
Presents an officer development program that aims to improve the educational methodology in human resource management of fire services. Fundamental philosophy behind the program; Fire cause investigation; Fire prevention; Public's demand for improved performance and controlled costs; Training...
- LAND OF 10,000 FACES. Forte, Roco S. // Fire Chief;May2003, Vol. 47 Issue 5, p32
Discusses the fire fighter recruiting and retaining practices of the fire department in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Testing system of the department; Inclusion of women and minorities in the work force; Promotional opportunities offered by the department; Proactive approach of the department in...
- Reinventing the fire service. Paton, Nic // Personnel Today;10/28/2003, p22
No abstract available.
- Burning ambition. Matthews, Virginia // Personnel Today;2/7/2006, p6
The article reports that modernising the heavily unionised, male-dominated Fire and Rescue Service in Great Britain is a colossal challenge. The human resource strategy is just one part of an ambitious modernisation programme in the heavily unionised, male-dominated fire service since a...
- Preparing Future Officers. // Fire Engineering;Jul2008, Vol. 161 Issue 7, p40
The article highlights the steps taken by various fire departments in the U.S. to prepare future officers. Lewisville Fire Department chief Rick Lasky, Western Reserve Joint Fire District chief David Comstock Jr. and Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One chief Ron Hiraki details the initiatives taken by...
- Preparing for the New Position. Emrich, Matthew // Fire Engineering;Jul2008, Vol. 161 Issue 7, p126
The article offers advice for fire fighters on how to prepare for a new position. The author shares how he prepared himself for the position of lieutenant. He suggests that building and maintaining good relations with members are the cornerstones of a healthy organization. The author also...
- All fired up. Higginbottom, Karen // People Management;9/11/2003, Vol. 9 Issue 18, p14
Reports on the preparation of human resources professional in the fire and rescue service to implement the integrated personal development system (IPDS) in England and Wales. Aim of the IPDS; Origins of the IPDS; Role of culture change in implementing the IPDS; Response of the Fire Brigades...
- Cupid's in the Station. Stovall, Steven Austin // Fire Chief;May2004, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p84
Presents guidelines on how fire chiefs can manage romance in fire departments in the United States. Establishment of policy regarding romance between firefighters; Maintenance of professionalism; Issues involving the invasion of privacy. INSET: TIPS FOR MANAGING ROMANCES.
- ICS Nets Recruits. Collins, Patrick R. // Fire Chief;May2005, Vol. 49 Issue 5, p38
Discusses the use of Incident Command System in recruiting additional manpower for fire departments in the U.S. Key functions of ICS; Essentiality of action plan in responding to incidents; Role of planning committees in the recruitment process.