When is a tax not a tax?
- A festival of firehouses. Smith Jr., H.L. // Architectural Record;Mar1988, Vol. 176 Issue 3, p110
A sampling of photographs by Lisa Clifford for a recent exhibit of firehouses built over the last century, for the grand opening of New York City's Firehouse Museum.
- Public-private partnership. Olsztynski, Jim // PHC Profit Report;1/15/96, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p8
Reports that The Naperville Fire Department accepted a delivery vehicle which allows it to respond to specialized situations that require special equipment not normally owned by fire departments. What the department has done.
- What's in a name? Sachs, Gordon M. // Fire Engineering;Aug96, Vol. 149 Issue 8, p127
Discusses the need to match the name and functions of fire departments to reflect their overall mission that has components beyond the function of fire extinction. Fire department's specialties; Disadvantages of standing by fire departments' traditional name.
- Ready to burn. Michalski, Dan // Texas Monthly;Sep94, Vol. 22 Issue 9, p78
Focuses on the need for full-time professional firefighters at Travis County, Texas. Danger from wildland-urban interface; Problems with the system of volunteer fire protection; Option of creating a countywide fire department; Resistance for a major overhaul from the volunteer departments.
- Plenty of sweets at Kyle Fish Fry. // Free Press (Buda, TX);10/15/2008, Vol. 105 Issue 28, p6A
A photograph of participants at the annual Kyle Fire Department fish fry held in Texas on October 11, 2008 is presented.
- Fire departments fighting to keep up with rapid growth. Kimmons, Sean // Hays Free Press (Buda, TX);6/10/2009, Vol. 106 Issue 10, p1A
The article reports the expansion of the Kyle Fire Department of Texas in response to the increasing number of residences.
- Untitled. // Burnet Bulletin (Texas);5/9/2007, Vol. 135 Issue 19, p3A
A photograph depicting the expansion of the East Lake Buchanan Volunteer Fire Department facility in Burnet County, Texas is presented.
- El Campo Volunteer Fire Department hosting 6th Annual Bar-B-Que Cook-Off. Crabtree, Shannon // East Bernard Express (TX);8/26/2010, Vol. 67 Issue 34, p8
The article offers information on the Sixth Annual Bar-B-Que Cook-Off party to be hosted by the El Campo Volunteer Fire Department at the North Wharton Street in Wharton County, Texas on August 27, 2010.
- Taxpayers are fired up over fire spending. Moynahan, Mary Kaye // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);2/13/95, Vol. 42 Issue 7, p45
Reports on Long Island, New York taxpayers' skepticism regarding how their tax dollars are being spent by fire department volunteers. Amount spent by taxpayers for fire protection services in Long Island; Results of the Special Report on Municipal Affairs' report by New York State comptroller...