BLM manages IT alarm innovation
- Location-Based Alerts. // Emergency Management;Nov2010, Vol. 5 Issue 6, p24
The article reports that California will implement a Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS), a statewide mobile alert system which will provide warnings and safety information via text messages on cell phones.
- Earthquake OMG! Quealy, Patrick // Liberty (08941408);Jun2008, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p13
The author considers the idea of a text-message disaster alert system in the U.S. He mentions an episode of the television program "The Simpsons," which describes a warning system advising residents about a problem with the nuclear power plant. He cites an article in the April 9, 2008 issue of...
- Telenor, PRCS join hands for early warning system. // Technology Times;8/18/2014, Vol. 5 Issue 33/34, p4
The article reports that telecommunication firm Telenor Pakistan Pvt. Ltd. has signed a contract with nonprofit organization Pakistan Red Crescent Society to help lessen the impact of disasters by developing a text messaging-based early warning system.
- SPEED Texting to be wakeup call in Philippines. // Filipino Post;7/26/2012, p7
The article reports on the Surveillance in Post Extreme Emergencies and Disaster (SPEED) project of the Philippine Department of Health, which alerts emergency health officials on dangerous situations through text messages.
- Supporting the response to natural disasters. Annunziato, A.; Al-Khudhairy, D.; San Miguel, J.; de Roo, Ad; Pesaresi, M. // Crisis Response Journal;Dec2008, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p65
The article highlights the natural disasters forecasting and early warning systems developed by the European Commission's (EC) Joint Research Centre (JRC). The systems include the European Flood Alert System (EFAS), the European Forest Fire Information System (EFFIS), and the automatic...
- South Korea expands cell-broadcast alerts for emergency info. Silva, Jeffrey // RCR Wireless News;5/30/2005, Vol. 24 Issue 22, p19
Reports on the expansion of cell-broadcast disaster alerts by the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) in South Korea in 2005. Wireless carriers that will support the service; Information on a trial service done by NEMA; Number of subscribers that will benefit from the service as...
- One Unread Message. Silk, Stephanie // Government Security;Jan/Feb2008, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p6
The article discusses the use of text messaging for emergency alert notifications, focusing on the results of a study by CDW Government Inc., which found that most urban Americans are interested in receiving alerts about weather, terrorist or public health threats via text messaging, but are...
- In the News. // Emergency Management;Jan/Feb2012, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p12
This section offers emergency management news briefs. Harry Burkhart was apprehended for intentionally setting 50 fires at an area in Los Angeles, California during the New Year weekend. Ten counties in Pennsylvania including Allegheny, Armstrong, and Butler sought to utilize a shared...
- SHELL SHOCKED: SIX MONTHS AFTER SANDY, AGENTS LOOK BACK. // Property & Casualty 360;May2013, Vol. 117 Issue 5, p32
The article shares the stories of insurance agents in the wake of Superstorm Sandy in the U.S. The Ronan Agency President Jeanne Heisler took part in conference calls prior to Sandy's landfall and sent word to clients she thought would be most exposed to. Justin Fries of Garber, Atlas Fries &...