Danger From the Sky
- The sky is falling--a little. Jacobsen, Pamela D. // Christian Science Monitor;11/7/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 243, p19
Presents information on meteorites and other extraplanetary bodies that collide with Earth. Their origin which is often an asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter; Damage caused by large meteorites; Places to locate meteorites including Antarctica.
- Earth's Greatest Hits. // Science World;10/19/98, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p9
Presents information on a number of meteorites and asteroids which has collided with the Earth since it formation 4 billion years. Details on the Manicouagan crater which landed in Quebec, Canada some 212 million years ago; Description of an asteroid which hit Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula 65...
- Crash Landing. // Scholastic News -- Edition 3;4/8/2013, Vol. 69 Issue 21, p1
The article reports on the efforts of scientists to track big asteroids and prevent them from striking Earth following the explosion of a meteor across the sky over western Russia on February 15, 2013.
- Meteor Attack! Chang, Maria L. // Science World;10/19/98, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p8
Reports that on November 17, 1998 an intense meteorite shower called the Leonid meteor shower is expected to strike Earth, referencing the motion picture `Armageddon.' Why it called the Leonid meteor shower; Evidence that the shower occurs when Earth crosses comet Tempel-Tuttle's orbit around...
- The long trip to Earth. Chapman, Clark R. // Nature;10/5/2000, Vol. 407 Issue 6804, p573
Offers a look at meteorites and asteroids, and on how the scientific views regarding them have changed through time. Why scientists finally accepted the notion that meteorites fell from the sky; How physics has allowed scientists to study asteroid collisions and radiation emissions; Details...
- A Warning to Us from The Solar System. // Executive Intelligence Review;2/22/2013, Vol. 40 Issue 8, p12
The article presents a speech by Benjamin Deniston, member of LaRouche Science Team, the Basement Project, delivered at a 25-minute LaRouchePAC-TV video titled "SDE Update: Asteroid 2012 DA14 Flyby," on February 14, 2013,.in which he speaks on history of asteroids and meteorites with earth. He...
- Find It! // Scholastic News -- Edition 3;4/26/2010, Vol. 66 Issue 22, p2
A quiz about the effects of asteroids crashing on Earth and synonyms of words is presented.
- Close encounters of the asteroid kind. Spotts, Peter N. // Christian Science Monitor;3/13/98, Vol. 90 Issue 74, p3
Comments on Asteroid 1997 XF11, which some scientists have predicted will come within 30,000 miles of striking the earth in 2028. Uncertainty about the distance; Why the chance for impact is small; How the discovery of the asteroid validates the Spacewatch program, founded to detect objects...
- When asteroids get too close for comfort. Spotts, Peter N. // Christian Science Monitor;3/15/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 76, p15
Discusses the need for measures to protect Earth from collisions with asteroids.