Danger From the Sky
- strange Universe. Berman, Bob // Astronomy;Mar2002, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p82
Comments on the impact of the slamming of interplanetary debris into the Earth on the lives of living things on Earth. Speed of meteorites approaching the surface of the Earth; Examples of damages produced by the meteorites in the Earth; Reason for the calculation of experts that each person is...
- The sky is falling--a little. Jacobsen, Pamela D. // Christian Science Monitor;11/7/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 243, p19
Presents information on meteorites and other extraplanetary bodies that collide with Earth. Their origin which is often an asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter; Damage caused by large meteorites; Places to locate meteorites including Antarctica.
- Earth's Greatest Hits. // Science World;10/19/98, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p9
Presents information on a number of meteorites and asteroids which has collided with the Earth since it formation 4 billion years. Details on the Manicouagan crater which landed in Quebec, Canada some 212 million years ago; Description of an asteroid which hit Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula 65...
- Dinosaur killer sheds light on Mars. Schueller, Gretel // Astronomy;Jul98, Vol. 26 Issue 7, p30
Deals with the discovery of sites related to the impact of asteroids to the earth by Adriana Ocampo of National Aeronautics and Space Administration's (NASA) Jet Propulsion Laboratory and Kevin Pope of Geo Eco Arc Research. Significance of the sites; Information on the impact site at Alvaro in...
- Huge Asteroid Impact Identified. // Australasian Science;May2013, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p8
The article announces the discovery of an asteroid impact structure in the north-east of South Australia in 2013, that is said to become the third largest known asteroid impact site, displacing the Chicxulub crater on the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico responsible for the extinction of dinosaurs.
- Crash Landing. // Scholastic News -- Edition 3;4/8/2013, Vol. 69 Issue 21, p1
The article reports on the efforts of scientists to track big asteroids and prevent them from striking Earth following the explosion of a meteor across the sky over western Russia on February 15, 2013.
- Meteor Attack! Chang, Maria L. // Science World;10/19/98, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p8
Reports that on November 17, 1998 an intense meteorite shower called the Leonid meteor shower is expected to strike Earth, referencing the motion picture `Armageddon.' Why it called the Leonid meteor shower; Evidence that the shower occurs when Earth crosses comet Tempel-Tuttle's orbit around...
- Asteroid Apocalypse. Kaku, Michio // Newsweek Global;2/22/2013, Vol. 161 Issue 8, p1
The article focuses on the asteroid that hit in the city of Chelyabinsk, Russia on February 15, 2013. Topics include the explosion of the asteroid ten to fifteen miles above ground, the 2012 DA14 asteroid that passed the Earth hours later, and the impact the DA14 asteroid would have made had it...
- NETROPOLITAN. // New Scientist;05/13/2000, Vol. 166 Issue 2238, p15
Presents Internet resources pertaining to the topic of asteroid collision with the earth. Asteroid burst over the Yukon in northern Canada; Torino scale, which measures the severity of asteroid impacts; Simulation of an asteroid collision; Meteorites which have already hit Earth.