Danger From the Sky
- Earth's Greatest Hits. // Science World;10/19/98, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p9
Presents information on a number of meteorites and asteroids which has collided with the Earth since it formation 4 billion years. Details on the Manicouagan crater which landed in Quebec, Canada some 212 million years ago; Description of an asteroid which hit Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula 65...
- Crash Landing. // Scholastic News -- Edition 3;4/8/2013, Vol. 69 Issue 21, p1
The article reports on the efforts of scientists to track big asteroids and prevent them from striking Earth following the explosion of a meteor across the sky over western Russia on February 15, 2013.
- Meteor Attack! Chang, Maria L. // Science World;10/19/98, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p8
Reports that on November 17, 1998 an intense meteorite shower called the Leonid meteor shower is expected to strike Earth, referencing the motion picture `Armageddon.' Why it called the Leonid meteor shower; Evidence that the shower occurs when Earth crosses comet Tempel-Tuttle's orbit around...
- The long trip to Earth. Chapman, Clark R. // Nature;10/5/2000, Vol. 407 Issue 6804, p573
Offers a look at meteorites and asteroids, and on how the scientific views regarding them have changed through time. Why scientists finally accepted the notion that meteorites fell from the sky; How physics has allowed scientists to study asteroid collisions and radiation emissions; Details...
- Find It! // Scholastic News -- Edition 3;4/26/2010, Vol. 66 Issue 22, p2
A quiz about the effects of asteroids crashing on Earth and synonyms of words is presented.
- Close encounters of the asteroid kind. Spotts, Peter N. // Christian Science Monitor;3/13/98, Vol. 90 Issue 74, p3
Comments on Asteroid 1997 XF11, which some scientists have predicted will come within 30,000 miles of striking the earth in 2028. Uncertainty about the distance; Why the chance for impact is small; How the discovery of the asteroid validates the Spacewatch program, founded to detect objects...
- When asteroids get too close for comfort. Spotts, Peter N. // Christian Science Monitor;3/15/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 76, p15
Discusses the need for measures to protect Earth from collisions with asteroids.
- Killer rocks. Barnes-Svarney, Patricia // Popular Science;Jun98, Vol. 252 Issue 6, p44
Focuses on the increase possibility of an asteroid colliding with earth, with reference to the announcement made on March 11, 1997 by astronomer Brain Marsden of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. Information on the collisions with other planets; Details on the impact site in the...
- The greater crater caper. Goldstein, Debra // Science World;09/08/97, Vol. 54 Issue 1, p6
Focuses on an examination conducted by scientist on the crater left by the impact of an asteroid that slammed into the Earth. When investigators first discovered the crater; Information on the use of gravity sensors in the examination; Comments from Peter Schultz, a geologist at Brown University.