OUTSIDE THE BOX
- ESCAPE PLAN. // Jack & Jill;Nov/Dec2009, Vol. 71 Issue 6, p9
The article offers step-by-step instructions for creating a fire escape plan.
- TEAM BUILDING DRILLS FOR THE ENGINE COMPANY. Sitz, tom // Fire Engineering;Feb2005, Vol. 158 Issue 2, p26
Presents tips about fire drill. Simulation of a private dwelling fire where the standard attack line would be stretched; Representation of a scenario of a fully involved building with a severe exposure problem and a hydrant directly in front of the occupancy; Formulation of a realistic decisions...
- Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance. Missouri (Ret.), Judge William D. // Judges' Journal;Fall2013, Vol. 52 Issue 4, p18
The article focuses on the fire fighting situation at the Prince George's county courthouse in Maryland in November 2004 and its consequences. It further discusses the benefits of evacuation drills among employees which led to no loss of life in that accident. The article concludes that the best...
- Local firemen train in College Station. // Clarendon Enterprise (TX);8/3/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 33, p4
The article reports on the training rescue operations held by the Municipal Fire Training School in College Station, Texas in July 2006. An estimated 2,500 firefighters, including five local people, from across the state participated in the training. Firefighters used full-scale props, including...
- Chicago introduces commercial high-rise safety initiative. // Fire Engineering;Dec2004, Vol. 157 Issue 12, p37
This article reports that the objective of the Life Safety Program for Commercial High-Rise Buildings recently introduced by Chicago Fire Commissioner Cortez Trotter at a luncheon at which 300 members of the Building Owners and Managers Association of Chicago were present is to educate high-rise...
- DRILLS FOR A RAINY DAY. Prziborowski, Steve // Fire Engineering;Jul2006, Vol. 159 Issue 7, p18
This article presents the author's views on how to conduct indoor training on an inclement weather day. Many departments try to have a turnout time of sixty seconds. However, many members of the staff are not able to follow that. On a bad weather day, one can organize indoor turnout drill. A...
- The Great Blackout of 2003 proves beneficial for hospitals. Neil, Robert // Materials Management in Health Care;Sep2003, Vol. 12 Issue 9, p8
Reports on the accidental launch of a hospital drill during a power outage in the U.S. Efficiency of the drill; Implementation of emergency programs; Construction of a generator system for emergency purposes.
- Items to check off for LSC compliance. // Healthcare Benchmarks & Quality Improvement;Aug2009, Vol. 16 Issue 8, p93
The article offers suggestions from WEL Designs founder William Lindeman to comply with Life Safety Code (LSC) requirements. He says it is safe to assume that there is a need to test and document anything that is mechanical or electrical in the facility. A room can be protected as a hazardous...
- DECK GUN DRILLS FOR THREE-MEMBER ENGINE COMPANIES. Sitz, Tom // Fire Engineering;Aug2004, Vol. 157 Issue 8, p28
Focuses on the training for a three-member engine companies on deck gun attack of the booster tank to secure water resource. Development of an effective stream through a deck gun; importance of consistency in a company; Details on the objective of the drill.