- `Surfing' accident requires technical rescue. Borek, George // Fire Engineering;Aug97, Vol. 150 Issue 8, p28
Discusses an incident which involved elevator surfing that happened on June 26, 1996 at A. Harry Moore Public Housing Projects in New Jersey. Sequence of events that took place during the fire operation; Fire department's plan for the operation; Lessons learned and reinforced with regards to...
- Elevator scares. // Glamour;Jul93, Vol. 91 Issue 7, p65
Gives advice on what to do during elevator emergencies. Importance of knowing what to expect; Safety features of elevators; Power failures, malfunctioning and smoke alarms. INSET: Fighting your fears (what to do when you're trapped)..
- A Close Call Encounter of the Elevator Kind. Dragonetti, Michael A. // Fire Engineering;Dec2007, Vol. 160 Issue 12, p107
The author of the article describes the adventure of a fire rescue department that responded to a call about a stuck elevator. On arrival, the team spotted the stuck car and dispatched a team to cut the power to the elevator. The team got word to the people stranded in the car, stuck between two...
- Watch the Closing Doors. Caporale, Robert S. // Elevator World;Feb2012, Vol. 60 Issue 2, p6
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses ways to prevent elevator accidents.
- ELEVATOR/ESCALATOR SCOFFLAWS FACE JAIL, FINE. // Elevator World;Nov2013, Vol. 61 Issue 11, p32
The article presents a report by the "Daily Times" as of November 2013 that elevator/escalator operators in Nigeria who disregard regulations will be meted a one-year jail time or 500,000 Nigerian naira (3,070 dollars) in fine.
- The Elevator and the Alarm. Gold, Lessing E. // SDM: Security Distributing & Marketing;Apr2001, Vol. 31 Issue 5, p31
Comments on a July 2000 decision by the Court of Appeals of Indiana to absolve fire alarm system subcontractors of liabilities for injuries to an elevator passenger caused by a shift in direction of the elevator after it went into fire service mode. National Safety Code for Elevators and...
- Operating Elevator Cars During a Building Fire. Jarboe, Theodore Lee; O'Donoghue, John J. // Fire Engineering;Sep2007, Vol. 160 Issue 9, p101
This article explores the use of elevators by fire fighters in building fires. Fire departments should check to see if the elevators have Firefighter's Emergency Operations and need to know how to work the system. Many firefighters have been killed in elevators during fires. Advice is offered on...
- Two detained in Istanbul elevator accident. // Journal of Turkish Weekly;9/8/2014, p45
The article discusses the detainment of several people during the investigation of an elevator accident at a construction site in Istanbul, Turkey, focusing on the deaths of ten people in the elevator and the stopping of work at the construction site.
- How To Survive In A Plummeting Elevator. // Popular Mechanics;Jan2003, Vol. 180 Issue 1, p114
Provides a case of plummeting elevator. Recommendations for surviving in a plummeting elevator.