Knowledge in the bank
- The wildland interface: Impact on local fire departments. Dittmar, Mary Jane // Fire Engineering;May98, Vol. 151 Issue 5, p65
Focuses on the impact of wildland interface fires on local fire departments in the United States. Changes in wildland firefighting culture; Safety areas respondents say are in need of improvement; Safer interface response for municipal fire departments; Prevention of wildland fires. INSETS:...
- Half Dome Hikers Evacuated Via Helicopter Due To Wildfire In Yosemite National Park. // National Parks Traveler;9/8/2014, p5
The article reports on a wildlife fire occurred at the Yosemite National Park in California. Topics discussed include the evacuation of more than 100 climbers and hikers from the area due to the incident, the help of the East Meadow Fire Department from New York to transport hikers through...
- STUDY SUPPORTS COOPERATIVE FIRE PROTECTION IN THE WEST. Weatherford, Brian F. // Fire Management Today;Winter2002, Vol. 62 Issue 1, p8
Focuses on the cooperation of various wildland fire protection agencies in preventing wildland fires in the U.S. Mobilization of large numbers of fire engines for structure protection; Increase of Federal disaster reimbursements; Urban types of development in wildland fuels. INSETS: TYPES OF...
- Fire departments control 2-acre fire in Church Rock. DONOVAN, BILL // Navajo Times;7/3/2014, Vol. 53 Issue 27, pA-10
The article discusses the controlling of a two-acre brush fire at Church Rock, New Mexico area by volunteer fire departments including the White Cliffs, Whispering Cedars and Gallup Fire Department.
- In harm's way. Elliott, Timothy // American City & County;May2001, Vol. 116 Issue 7, p38
Recounts how the Los Alamos County Fire Department managed the wildfire in New Mexico which occurred in 2000. Start of the fire; Damage caused by the fire; Concerns of the firefighters. INSET: Lessons learned from Los Alamos.
- SBM Springs into Action During Ham Lake Fire. Ryder, Shannon // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jul/Aug2007, Vol. 43 Issue 6, p21
The article describes the response of the Springs Lake Park-Blaine-Mounds View (SBM) Fire Department to wildfires that occurred on the northwest side of Ham Lake and spread to the northwest and overtakes the Sea Gull Lake area and entering the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW) in...
- Yarnell Hill report finds fire complexity, radio gaps and lack of aircraft as factors in firefighters' deaths. Roberts, Mary Rose // Fire Chief Expert Blog;9/28/2013, p2
The article discusses the "Yarnell Hill Fire Serious Accident Report," released by the Arizona State Forestry Division. The June 2013 wildfire resulted to 19 line-of-duty fatalities in the Granite Mountain Interagency Hotshot Crew (IHC) of the Prescott Fire Department. Jim Karels of the Florida...
- Platte Canyon Assesses 4,300 Homes with RedZone. // Fire Chief;Jan/Feb2004 Supplement, Vol. 48, p9
Reports on Platte Canyon Fire Department and AmeriCorps fire team volunteers' used of RedZone software to survey homes in the Platte Canyon Fire District, Colorado. Fires that hit the district; Wildfire analysis; Features of the software.
- Wildland firefighting: know the basics. Manneli, Gene // Minnesota Fire Chief;Mar/Apr2010, Vol. 46 Issue 4, p42
The article discusses wildland firefighting. It explains the difference between fighting wildland and structure fires including weather conditions, temperature, and the speed and distances that wildland fire can spread. If a fire department is faced with wildland fire beyond its capabilities or...