Not Without Warning
- "Suicide in Progress": Response Strategies. Collins, Larry // Fire Engineering;Sep2007, Vol. 160 Issue 9, p105
This article presents advice on how to handle suicide threats which may or may not involve hostages. A three phase system is suggested. In phase one, the first responders are encouraged to stabilize the situation and create an secure zone around the person and talk with the person in a...
- A Firefighter's Silent Killer: Suicide. ANTONELLIS JR., PAUL J.; THOMPSON, DENISE // Fire Engineering;Dec2012, Vol. 165 Issue 12, p69
The article discusses suicide prevention among U.S. firefighters. It notes that the national fire services does not have a method for tracking firefighter suicides and has yet to acknowledge the issue, spending little time and fiscal resources to suicide prevention. Warning signs of suicidal...
- A Firefighter in Action. // Scholastic News -- Edition 3;10/18/99, Vol. 56 Issue 6, p2
Describes a day in the life of a fireman.
- Person of the Year. // Know Your World Extra;4/25/2003, Vol. 36 Issue 12, p12
Salutes New York City's firefighters as 'Know Your World Extra' Persons of the Year. Number of members of the New York City Fire Department who died on September 11, 2001.
- The smoke jumpers. Jenne, M. // Boys' Life;Nov90, Vol. 80 Issue 11, p16
Describes what it is like to be a Smoke Jumper, men and women who parachute into remote areas to fight fires. How they protect themselves; Danger involved; What the planes carry.
- Supplying firefighters with a life-saving message. // Crain's Chicago Business;02/23/98, Vol. 21 Issue 8, p8
No abstract available.
- Atlanta firefighters wage battle to keep beards. // Jet;2/26/90, Vol. 77 Issue 20, p12
Reports on a battle between 12 black Atlanta firefighters and their departments over the right to wear beards in fire-fighting duties.
- Rural firemen. McCaig, D. // Country Journal;Mar/Apr89, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p79
Report on the life of volunteer firemen.
- Firefighters don more urban hats. DeQuine, Jeanne // Christian Science Monitor;6/18/96, Vol. 88 Issue 142, p1
Reports that firefighters in Miami, Florida are assuming government duties that are not related to their traditional activities. Television franchise contracts; Employee risk management; Homeless services; Expansion of firefighters into social services; Aim of giving firefighters duties when...