- Carson City Fire Department saves over $100k on SCBA gear. Chames, Heidi // Minnesota Fire Chief;Mar/Apr2012, Vol. 48 Issue 4, p35
The article focuses on how the Carson City Fire Department in Nevada saves time and money from purchasing a self contained breathing apparatus (SCBA)with the help of the FireRescue group purchasing organization (GPO). Fire department chief Stacey Giomi is reportedly hesitant at first in using...
- Use of Brookdale respiratory protective escape devices suspended. // Fire Engineering;Jun2006, Vol. 159 Issue 6, p56
The article reports that the manufacturer of respiratory protective escape devices, Brookdale International Systems Inc. voluntarily recalls its products after issuing a suspend-use on March 2006. EVAC-U8â„¢, EVAC+â„¢ and some 290,000 units were recalled by the company. According to the...
- READY TO WEAR? Alhers, Heinz // Fire Chief;Feb2008, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p22
The article offers information on the U.S. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health's (NIOSH) testing and certification of self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) for use by emergency responders in chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) emergencies. It highlights...
- Nothing alarming about new fire detection systems. Reinbach, Andrew // Buildings;Oct93, Vol. 87 Issue 10, p64
Reports on issues to consider in selecting fire protection systems. Computer-based systems; Standards solved only by software; Complexity in modern buildings creating modern fires and resulting in new fire codes; Regulations of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA); Complex monitoring...
- To detect & protect. // Buildings;Oct96, Vol. 90 Issue 10, p88
Focuses on a number of fire safety products. Fire Control Instruments Incorporated's Supplementary Notification Appliance Circuit panel; Edwards Systems Technology's life safety devices; Notifier's Notifier UniNet.
- Sound the alarm. // Current Health 2;Oct92, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p20
Explains the proper placement and maintenance of smoke detectors. National Fire Prevention Week, which takes place in October; Advice from the National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA); When fatal home fires are most likely to occur; Replacement of batteries.
- What is it (IV)? // PM Engineer;May96, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p52
Presents a question on a fire protection system for readers to answer. Includes the answer to a question on a steam-powered soot blower.
- Fire stops. // PM Engineer;Jul96, Vol. 2 Issue 6, p95
Presents literature on fire stops. Includes literature from HILTI Corp.; RectorSeal Corp.; IPC International Protective Coatings Corp.
- Firestops: Part of doing business. Haber, Lynn // Cabling Installation & Maintenance;Oct95, Vol. 3 Issue 10, p41
Reports on the need for firestopping based on the requirements of the National Electrical Code and the National Life Safety Code. Routine part of doing business for cable installation companies; Requiring knowledge of specialized procedures and products; Availability of firestop materials; Need...