- Rescue rope for rapid intervention teams. Dube, Robert // Fire Engineering;Jan2000, Vol. 153 Issue 1, p14
Discusses the rescue rope for rapid intervention teams employed by the Fairfax County, Virginia Fire and Rescue Department. Holding of a two-day fire ground survival class; Advantages of the pre-rigged rope; Conversion of one piece of rope into a four-line haul system.
- Jaws of Life. // Clarendon Enterprise (TX);10/17/2013, Vol. 24 Issue 42, p5
An image is presented of firefighter Blake Osburn demonstrating the Jaws of Life during the open house at the Clarendon Fire Department in Texas in October 2013.
- Basic Forcible Entry Tools. // Fire Engineering;Apr2008, Vol. 161 Issue 4, p174
The article presents the basic tools that U.S. firefighters should have when performing a forcible entry operation in a fire building. The tools include a halligan, a flathead ax, a sledgehammer with at least 10-pound head, and a lock cylinder-pulling device. A discussion about the usage of the...
- "Suicide in Progress" Responses: Sample Guideline. // Fire Engineering;Sep2007, Vol. 160 Issue 9, p111
This article presents a sample guideline for "Suicide in Progress" responses. Although many police forces have crisis negotiation teams it is often the fire fighter who is used in high risk environments such as on top of buildings, bridges, towers and other areas. The responsibilities of the...
- The Bigwig Tool. Voss, Eli // Fire Engineering;Dec2010, Vol. 163 Issue 12, p97
The article discusses how the Bigwig Tool can help firefighters solve the marking and wedging problems they encounter when they are tasked with searching. It says that firefighters need only a single Bigwig Tool to finish a whole search of a small or big building. According to the author, the...
- PRZEGLÄ„D, ZASTOSOWANIE I TENDENCJE ROZWOJOWE ARMATURY POÅ»ARNICZEJ. LEMAŃSKA, Karolina; GŁÓWKA, Sylwester // Safety & Fire Technique / Bezpieczenstwo i Technika Pozarnicza;2013, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p91
This article reviewed and introduced development trends of firefighting equipment. Individual groups of equipment were described from the viewpoint of application. Firefighting equipment is one of the most important components of the Fire Service technical arsenal. It is important that...
- Power Saw Operations: How Proficient Are You? RICCI, FRANK; NORWOOD, P. J. // Fire Engineering;Mar2014, Vol. 167 Issue 3, p69
The article provides tips for firefighters on handling a power saw. This equipment is used for fire ventilation and forcible entry during fire rescue operations. Topics discussed include the importance of checking a power saw daily to ensure that it will work properly when needed, the correct...
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR. Thiele, Harold; Newbury, Mike; Goldfarb, Ted // Fire Engineering;May2009, Vol. 162 Issue 5, p48
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to articles in previous issues including "More Rapid Intervention: 'Grab and Go' Turnout Handles," by Captain Larry Collins in the February 2009 issue, "The Right Thing and the Right Way," by Bobby Halton in the February 2009 issue
- RESCUE & EXTRICATION EQUIPMENT. // Fire Chief;Jan/Feb2004 Supplement, Vol. 48, p5
Features several rescue and extrication equipment used by firefighters and emergency medical technicians in the United States. Telescopic ram; Rescue backboard; Inflatable rescue boat.