N.Y.C. Official: Court Should Clarify Legislature's MAC Intent
- Mississippi approves sizable chunk of debt in 1999 session. McEntee, Christopher // Bond Buyer;04/12/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30617, p32
Reports on Mississippi lawmakers' authorization of $546 million of new debt during their 1999 legislative session. Sign of Mississippi's rapid economic expansion; Aspects of the 1999 bond agenda; Highway borrowing as top priority in bond agenda.
- Montana Biennial Budget Passes House, Should Pass Senate. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;3/23/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32096, p32
Reports that Montana's 2005-2007 biennial budget has passed the House and has moved to the Senate. Proposal by Governor Brian Schweitzer of a $2.76 billion general fund budget for the biennium; Efforts touted by House Democratic Leader Dave Wanzenreid which his party made to trim spending out of...
- GO levels, tax cuts await Minnesota's new legislature. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;01/04/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30550, p40
Focuses on the top legislative agenda involving public financing facing Minnesota's legislature in the 1999 session. Dominance of a debate on tax cuts; Concerns on the state's tri-partisan legislature; Need for Governor-elect Jesse Ventura to gain the support of lawmakers.
- Bulgaria caps budget gap at 2% of GDP in law. // Regional Today;02/01/2013, p5
This article reports that the Bulgarian Parliament passed January 31, 2013 the Public Finances Law aimed at capping the country's future budget deficits at 2 percent of gross domestic product.
- Lame duck Legislature will have last quack on capital spending. Ford, Tom // Crain's Cleveland Business;11/16/98, Vol. 19 Issue 46, p4
Reports on the prospects for Ohio's capital improvements budget legislation. Delay of the 1998 legislation after Governor George Voinovich's plan to increase the state's sales tax to raise money for public schools was rejected by voters in May 1998; Capital improvements projects in Ohio that...
- Democrats' Bid for Separate Debt-Hike Vote Called Unlikely. Barnett, Susanna Duff // Bond Buyer;11/12/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32009, p4
Reports on the bid of Democrats in the U.S. House to obtain a separate vote on a proposed increase in the federal debt limit. Debate on the proposed increase in debt ceiling proposed by House Democrats; Plans of Republicans to include the debt-ceiling provision to another legislation.
- Efeitos da Lei de Responsabilidade Fiscal no endividamento dos MunicÃpios Brasileiros: uma anÃ¡lise de dados em painÃ©is. Macedo, Joe de Jesus; Corbari, Ely Célia // Revista Contabilidade & FinanÃ§as - USP;set-dez2009, Vol. 20 Issue 51, p44
This study aims to analyze whether the Brazilian LRF - Lei de Responsabilidade Fiscal (Fiscal Responsibility Law), as a mechanism of fiscal restraint, has influenced the debt pattern of cities with more than 100,000 inhabitants, covering the period from 1998 to 2006. In order to reach this goal,...
- Senate Rejects Effort To Add Religion Aid To Stimulus Package. // Church & State;Mar2009, Vol. 62 Issue 3, p17
The article reports on the decision of the U.S. Senate to reject an attempt to add tax funding for renovation of religious structures at colleges and universities to the economic stimulus package on February 5, 2009. It notes that the stimulus package has contained $3.5 billion for the...
- HOW CLEAN IS CLEAN? Greenblatt, Alan // Governing;Oct2007, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p22
The author supports laws on campaign funds being considered by state legislatures in the U.S. He argues that the reluctance to pass legislation on public financing campaigns is mainly due to resistance from incumbents who are benefiting from the political system. He contends that public...