When David meets Goliath
- SBM Springs into Action During Ham Lake Fire. Ryder, Shannon // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jul/Aug2007, Vol. 43 Issue 6, p21
The article describes the response of the Springs Lake Park-Blaine-Mounds View (SBM) Fire Department to wildfires that occurred on the northwest side of Ham Lake and spread to the northwest and overtakes the Sea Gull Lake area and entering the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW) in...
- Active-shooter preparedness at the local, national level aims to increase firefighter safety. Roberts, Mary Rose // Fire Chief Expert Blog;3/18/2013, p8
The article discusses the issues faced by fire departments following the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The importance of coordination between fire, police and the incident management team was the first lesson learned at the Sandy Hook incident. Under...
- News In Brief. // Fire Engineering;Mar2003, Vol. 156 Issue 3, p44
Presents news concerning fire engineering in the United States as of March 2003. Weaknesses of the nation's fire departments; Number of firefighters who died in the line of duty during 2002; Effect of President George W. Bush's decision to call up the National Guard into military active duty on...
- Chicago high-rise fire reveals benefits of lessons learned. // Fire Engineering;Feb2005, Vol. 158 Issue 2, p54
Reports on the response of the Chicago Fire Department to the high-rise fire which killed six people in Illinois. Institution of procedures that provided for simultaneous tracking of suppression and emergency medical efforts; Launch of additional radio channels; Control of the building at a...
- Location is Everything. Spell, Jim // Fire Chief Exclusive Insight;3/1/2012, p6
The article highlights the experience of Vail, Colorado Fire and Emergency Services which proves that thoughtful design, information sharing and relentless desire for high quality training can build the best possible learning environment for firefighers and officers. Vail has 5,289 acres of...
- Firefighters battle two suspicious weekend blazes. // Graham Leader;7/13/2011, Vol. 135 Issue 95, p2A
The article reports that firefighters from the Graham Fire and Rescue fire department in Graham, Texas battled two fire incidents in Graham, in which the first occurred at an outbuilding in Florea Street on July 9, 2011, and the second was at a house at 800 block of Texas on July 10, 2011.
- September 2013. Black, Steven; Bailey, Perry; Champlin, Brian // Fire Engineering;Sep2013, Vol. 166 Issue 9, p36
Letters to the editor are presented including a letter on training of fire fighters, in response to "CoQ10 & Heart Function", an article on the health of fire fighters posted on the publication's Website in June 2013 and on fire department management.
- Citizen's Safety Academy. Akin, Taber // Minnesota Fire Chief;Mar/Apr2007, Vol. 43 Issue 4, p18
The article provides information on the Citizen's Safety Academy established by the Lakeville Fire Department in Minnesota. The program aims to introduce citizens to the various functions of the fire department, build goodwill within the community and provide citizens with an opportunity to...
- Heroes of the Flames: Firefighters. Orr, Tamra B. // Career World;Nov/Dec2003, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p14
Discusses the aspects of becoming a firefighter. Skills and traits that firefighters should possess; Minimum qualifications of the profession; Rewards from becoming a firefighter.