- Pa. Can't Hire Based on Age. Cleaveland, Carrie // Fire Chief;Feb2009, Vol. 53 Issue 2, p8
The article reports that Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission has requested the Philadelphia Fire Department to stop its practice of not considering job applicants for firefighter positions who have reached over the age of 40. It states that the order was made from the complaint of seven...
- Conducting background checks at the fire department is legal. Gotz, Dana // Minnesota Fire Chief;Sep/Oct2013, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p17
The article focuses on the process and authority of fire departments in Minnesota to obtain criminal history information of an employee and job applicants. It says that the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) runs the process while fingerprint-based information must be requested through the...
- FDNY seeking more minorities and women. Malcolm, Noreen // New York Amsterdam News;9/21/2006, Vol. 97 Issue 39, p15
The article informs that the Fire Department of New York (FDNY) is looking for Blacks, Latinos and women to join its workforce. Employees of FDNY will have the opportunity to earn a good salary and benefits. The next firefighter exam has been scheduled for January 20, 2007. The applicant must be...
- Look Inside a Firehouse! // Scholastic News -- Edition 1;Oct2001, Vol. 58 Issue 2, p1
Describes the routine of firefighters inside a fire station.
- When seeing red is a good thing. Sanders, Ramona C. // Collinsville Herald;8/22/2012, Vol. 54 Issue 34, pA2
The article announces that the Collinsville Fire Department in Illinois will be participating in the Red Shirts Fridays national initiative where every firefighter will wear red shirts on Fridays beginning August 2012 as a way of showing support to the men and women serving in the U.S. military.
- LACK OF TRAINING, EQUIPMENT LEAD TO FATAL FIRES IN DETROIT. Claxton, Melvin; Hurt, Charles // IRE Journal;May/Jun2001, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p14
Discusses the problems posed by inadequate training and equipment of firefighters in Detroit, Michigan.
- MANAGING THE PROBATIONARY FIREFIGHTER. Avillo, Anthony // Fire Engineering;Sep2001, Vol. 154 Issue 9, p39
Focuses on the ways in managing probationary firefighters. Upgrading of a firefighter; Obligations of the fire department on recruited firefighters; Orientation period of recruited firefighters.
- HEY, I'M STILL ASKING! Brennan, Tom // Fire Engineering;Feb2003, Vol. 156 Issue 2, p144
Discusses issues concerning the tactics of fire departments. Importance of a roll call for on-duty firefighters; Preparedness of the staff in a fire department; Duties and responsibilities of a fire personnel.
- WHEN TO 'SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF.' Wallace, Mark // Fire Engineering;Mar2003, Vol. 156 Issue 3, p175
Discusses the factors that should be focused on by firefighters. Types of fire departments; Factors that influence the duty performance of firefighters; Characteristics of a responsible firefighter.