Duty debate marches on
- A fire department's duty to death. Schmidt, Vicki // Fire Chief Expert Blog;9/24/2013, p2
The article focuses on the challenges faced by firefighters when they experience line-of-duty deaths. It mentions that despite a lot of time spent on disaster planning, most times firefighters' lives are still threatened while saving other people. According to the author, their duty to death is...
- RISKY BUSINESS. DiNolfo, Stephen H. // Fire Chief;Jul2009, Vol. 53 Issue 7, p34
The article focuses on how training officers of firefighters can reduce the risk of training-related liability in the U.S. By always asking for full effort during operations-based training, it notes that training officers can help ensure that personnel are prepared for effective emergency...
- Look Inside a Firehouse! // Scholastic News -- Edition 1;Oct2001, Vol. 58 Issue 2, p1
Describes the routine of firefighters inside a fire station.
- When seeing red is a good thing. Sanders, Ramona C. // Collinsville Herald;8/22/2012, Vol. 54 Issue 34, pA2
The article announces that the Collinsville Fire Department in Illinois will be participating in the Red Shirts Fridays national initiative where every firefighter will wear red shirts on Fridays beginning August 2012 as a way of showing support to the men and women serving in the U.S. military.
- LACK OF TRAINING, EQUIPMENT LEAD TO FATAL FIRES IN DETROIT. Claxton, Melvin; Hurt, Charles // IRE Journal;May/Jun2001, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p14
Discusses the problems posed by inadequate training and equipment of firefighters in Detroit, Michigan.
- MANAGING THE PROBATIONARY FIREFIGHTER. Avillo, Anthony // Fire Engineering;Sep2001, Vol. 154 Issue 9, p39
Focuses on the ways in managing probationary firefighters. Upgrading of a firefighter; Obligations of the fire department on recruited firefighters; Orientation period of recruited firefighters.
- HEY, I'M STILL ASKING! Brennan, Tom // Fire Engineering;Feb2003, Vol. 156 Issue 2, p144
Discusses issues concerning the tactics of fire departments. Importance of a roll call for on-duty firefighters; Preparedness of the staff in a fire department; Duties and responsibilities of a fire personnel.
- WHEN TO 'SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF.' Wallace, Mark // Fire Engineering;Mar2003, Vol. 156 Issue 3, p175
Discusses the factors that should be focused on by firefighters. Types of fire departments; Factors that influence the duty performance of firefighters; Characteristics of a responsible firefighter.
- Most diverse class of new firefighters in dep't history. BLOOMBERG, MICHAEL R. // Filipino Reporter;8/2/2013, Vol. 41 Issue 35, p20
In this article, the author talks about the appointment of several probationary fire fighters in New York City in 2013, who will undergo a training program at the Fire Academy of the Fire Department of the City of New York (FDNY).