Congress eyes lower tax bite
- Many answers needed about rules, bonuses. // Business Insurance;3/23/2009, Vol. 43 Issue 12, p8
The author reflects on the taxation of retention bonuses paid to employees of the financial products unit of American International Group Inc. He mentions the legislation approved by the U.S. House of Representatives, which imposes a 90% income tax surcharge on employees who accept bonuses from...
- Shades of Smoot & Hawley. // Time;4/12/1968, Vol. 91 Issue 15, p112
The article reports on the legislation passed in the U.S. Senate regarding the 10% tax surcharge that would cause a trade war between the country and most of its allies. It states that the Senate decided to add a single quota on dairy imports to the same tax bill. It mentions that the...
- Porridge at Any Price. // Time;3/10/1924, Vol. 3 Issue 10, p5
The article reports on the passage by the U.S. House of Representatives of a tax reduction bill with 37% surtaxes following a 408 to 8 vote in 1924. It cites the main features of the final compromise with which the bill was passed by the House, including a cut of the nominal tax to 2% on incomes...
- Congress and the Surtax. // Banking;Sep67, Vol. 60 Issue 3, p20
Deals with the reaction of the U.S. Congress to the proposed surtax of President Lyndon Johnson in 1967. Overview of the proposal; Apprehension of the Treasury Dept. on the enactment of the surtax proposal; Stance of the American Bankers Association on surtax legislation.
- A Good Snapper. // Time;3/10/1924, Vol. 3 Issue 10, p8
The article reports on the success of the U.S. Democrats in substituting the Garner surtax rates for those of the Mellon plan during the voting on the tax reduction bill in the House in 1924. The Democratic National Committee commended its whip, Representative William A. Oldfield for the success...
- SURTAX UNDISTRIBUTED PROFITS OF COMPANY. // Accountancy;Mar1967, Vol. 78 Issue 883, p198
Reports on tax cases regarding surtax for undistributed profits of companies in Great Britain. Declaration and payment of an interim dividend; Abatement of the amount of assessment to surtax.
- Tax Cases: Advance Notes. // Accountancy;Mar1967, Vol. 78 Issue 883, p199
Reports on developments in the tax case 'Vandervell vs. Commissioners of Inland Revenue' in Great Britain. Affirmation by the House of Lords of the decision of the Court of Appeal; Surtax liability.
- New avalanche of Chinese imports -- automobiles? Sanders, Sol W. // East-Asia-Intel Reports;1/17/2007, p9
The article reports on the proposed legislation in the U.S. Congress that would rebuff a surtax on Chinese imports of automobiles. Production has already reached 6 million cars from 100 different companies in China. Most of the Chinese companies that were preparing for exports have turned...
- Reid Faces Uphill Battle for Cloture on Modified Jobs Bill. HUME, LYNN; MOORE, DENNIS // Bond Buyer;10/11/2011, Vol. 378 Issue 33596, p5
The article focuses on Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's plan of having a cloture vote that will be limiting the debate on a modified version of the American Jobs Act of 2011 which was proposed by the U.S. President Barack Obama.