Getting on With It
- The Lobby Discusses the "Public Welfare Department Bill" Con. Magill, Hugh S. // Congressional Digest;Nov21, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p12
Presents arguments by Hugh S. Magill, field secretary of the National Education Association, opposing the proposed Public Welfare Department Bill which call for the establishment of a Department of Social Welfare. Opposition against the placing of education in a subordinate division.
- The Lobby Discusses the "Public Welfare Department Bill" Con. Wilson, Lewis A. // Congressional Digest;Nov21, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p14
Presents arguments by Lewis A. Wilson, president of the National Society for Vocational Education, opposing the proposed Public Welfare Department Bill which call for the establishment of a Department of Social Welfare. Functions of the Federal Board of Vocational Education; Role of the...
- Das Bundessozialhilfegesetz, der Sozialstaatsgedanke und die gemeindliche Selbstverwaltung. Ule, Carl Hermann // Zeitschrift f�r Sozialreform;nov1962, Vol. 8 Issue 11, p637
The article discusses a June 1961 German law reforming public welfare or "social assistance," which is distinguished by a change in emphasis from public handouts for those in need for their life essentials to individual treatment with the aim of reintegration into the community. Provisions of...
- Funding to urge sexual abstinence ignites debate. Portner, Jessica // Education Week;06/11/97, Vol. 16 Issue 37, p22
Focuses on the debate sparked by a provision in the 1996 federal welfare law that earmarks $250 million over five years to teach teenagers to abstain from sex until marriage. Debate within states on whether to apply for the grant; Concerns raised over the use of federal aid that might restrict...
- Reforming welfare reform. Dervarics, Charles // Community College Week;06/29/98, Vol. 15 Issue 24, p3
Focuses on the move to use the reauthorization of the United States Higher Education Act to correct flaws in the 1996 welfare reform law. States that experience drops in number of students on welfare; Overview of the welfare reform law; Proposal to amend the higher education act.
- Welfare change `an encouraging sign.' Dervarics, Charles // Community College Week;07/27/98, Vol. 10 Issue 26, p3
Reports on the United States (US) Senate's vote to alter the 1996 welfare reform law to ease the restrictions on how recipients use education to meet work requirements. Statistics on drop-out students that are on welfare; Benefits of the proposal from Senator Paul Wellstone (D-Minn.); Comments...
- Voc. ed help sought to meet welfare mandate. Trotter, Andrew // Education Week;04/02/97, Vol. 16 Issue 27, p16
Reports on the focus of American state officials in the promotion of vocational education in compliance with the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act of 1996. Prospects of more stringent requirements; Affect of changes on teenagers; Service to the welfare population.
- Structure and policies. // Venezuela Country Profile;2009, p48
The article offers information on the structure and policies of Venezuela, which includes its religious composition, age and gender-wise composition. It notes that the population of Venezuela is well educated compared to other Latin American countries with more than 94% of them are literate. An...
- THE FESS-KENYON PUBLIC WELFARE DEPARTMENT BILL. // Congressional Digest;Nov21, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p8
Chronicles the history of the Fess-Kenyon Public Welfare Department Bill. Proposed establishment of a Department of Social Welfare; Statement of General Sawyer, physician to the president, during a hearing about the bill before the U.S. Senate Committee on Education and Labor; Congressman Fess'...