TREATMENT OF IDIOPATHIC SUDDEN SENSORINEURAL HEARING LOSS WITH ANTIVIRAL THERAPY: A PROSPECTIVE, RANDOMIZED, DOUBLE-BLIND CLINICAL TRIAL
- Sudden Hearing Loss: A Ten-Year Outpatient Experience. Moreira Bittar, Roseli Saraiva; Oiticica, Jeanne; Zerati, Fabio Elias; Bento, Ricardo Ferreira // International Tinnitus Journal;2009, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p196
The aim of this study was to determine the effects of various treatment modalities employed for patients with sudden sensorineural hearing loss (SHL). We retrospectively evaluated the records of patients treated in the sudden hearing loss section of the Otolaryngology Department at Clinic...
- Herpes simplex virus infection presenting as a piriform sinus mass. Brigandi, Laurie A.; Lanfranchi, Paul V.; Scheiner, Edward D.; Busch, Scott L. // ENT: Ear, Nose & Throat Journal;Jul2006, Vol. 85 Issue 7, p450
Evidence is accumulating that herpes simplex virus (HSV) infection is implicated in oncogenesis. HSV antigens have been observed in some oral cancers. We present the case of a 62-year-old man who presented with dysphagia, odynophagia, and dysphonia and who was found on computed tomography (CT)...
- Position Statement on Hearing Loss and Otolaryngological Disease in Developing Communities. // Journal of Otolaryngology;Apr2001 Supplement, Vol. 30, p4
Presents the position statement of the Canadian Society of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery on hearing loss and otolaryngological disease in developing countries.
- Cogan�s syndrome: clinical evolution of deafness and vertigo in three patients. Baumann, A.; Helbling, A.; Oertle, S.; H�usler, R.; Vibert, D. // European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology;Jan2005, Vol. 262 Issue 1, p45
The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical symptoms, the otoneurological examinations, the treatment and the clinical course of three patients suffering from Cogan�s syndrome, a rare disease based on the clinical association of a non-syphilitic interstitial keratitis with a...
- Syphilis causing hearing loss. Chan, S. Y.; Medhi, M.; Ekbote, A.; Moses, S.; Sibtain, N.; Andrews, T.; O'Connor, A. F.; Kulasegaram, R. // International Journal of STD & AIDS;Oct2008, Vol. 19 Issue 10, p721
An HIV-positive man with hepatitis B co-infection, na�ve to highly active antiretroviral therapy, with a CD4 of 594 copies/ mL and HIV-1 viral load of 140,070 copies, presented with right-sided facial weakness and hearing loss. He had been treated for secondary syphilis three months earlier...
- HEPATITIS ;C'; ASSOCIATION OF INTERFERON-RIBAVIRIN THERAPY WITH HEARING LOSS. Khan, Muzaffar Mehmood; Bhatti, Muhammad Ali; Tahir, Muhammad; Khokar, Muhammad Riaz; Raza, Mohsin // Professional Medical Journal;Mar/Apr2012, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p193
Objective: The objective of this study was to determine association of Interferon-Ribavarin therapy with hearing loss in patients suffering from Hepatitis 'C'. Study Design: Quasi-experimental study. Place and Duration: Otolaryngology Department Combined Military Hospital Rawalpindi from 09 June...
- EFAVIRENZ COMBINATION POTENT AFTER 48 WEEKS. // AIDS Patient Care & STDs;Feb1998, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p145
Reports that according to a study, the combination of the antiviral drug, efavirenz (Sustiva) and indinavir (Crixivan) can be potent after 48 weeks. Number of participants in the study; Reported side effects of patients who took efavirenz.
- EARLY RESULTS FROM SPICE STUDY REPORTED. // AIDS Patient Care & STDs;Feb1998, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p145
Announces that the SPICE study reported that nelfinavir + saquinavir + two nucleoside analog RTIs of choice, a four-drug antiviral combination, was found to be better that any other combination studied. Most common adverse side effect of the combination drug; Information on the final results of...
- RITONAVIR/INDINAVIR COMBINATION STUDY SHOWS PROMISING DOSING RESULTS. // AIDS Patient Care & STDs;Feb1998, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p146
Presents information from a study which looked at four combinations of ritonavir and indinavir. Reason reduced doses of the drugs were evaluated; What the combination of ritonavir and indinavir resulted in; What results of the study suggested.